Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well just been for a morning burn and noticed when i pulled up that there was a strange sound coming from the engine bay. Popped the hood and if your looking directly over the engine down towards right there are 2 pulleys, the one at the bottom the belt kept stopping then starting as if it wasn't getting grip.

What belt and pulley is this? Hoping its something like aircon?

Cheers

·
Track addict
4,907 Posts
It is the air con compressor. The belt will have been turning all the time but its the clutch mechanism on the compressor itself that engages every so often, when the air con is switched on
This is perfectly normal, and when it cuts in and out it makes a clicking sound, which again is normal.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers for that. But it was making a strange noise. I had switched the air con off and was looking at it whilst the car was idling and the belt was turning the pulley but on occasions it wasn't.

safe to drive though?

·
Track addict
4,907 Posts
Cheers for that. But it was making a strange noise. I had switched the air con off and was looking at it whilst the car was idling and the belt was turning the pulley but on occasions it wasn't.

safe to drive though?
No reason why not.

Did you have it set on auto on the climate control by any chance.

Obviously it's hard to diagnose 100% without seeing it, there may be a fault with the compressor.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes probably.

I will run it tomorrow morning and see what kind of noise I get.

So I'm presuming if there is a fault its not a simple worn out belt causing the problem, more likely the actual compressor?

Cheers for your help buddy.

·
Track addict
4,907 Posts
Yes probably.

I will run it tomorrow morning and see what kind of noise I get.

So I'm presuming if there is a fault its not a simple worn out belt causing the problem, more likely the actual compressor?

Cheers for your help buddy.
If it's cutting in and out without the air con switched on there there could well be a fault with the compressor.

But if its set to auto on the control panel, then that will cut the air-con in and out regardless. It doesn't have to be set on the coldest setting either.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just an update on this. It seems the belt slipping / pulley stopping only happens when the Air Con is off. When the Air Con is doing its thing seems quite happy. Wondering if I sprayed the pulley with WD40 might help.

Its either the belt that is in poor condition and slipping or it must be the pulley that keeps freezing or getting stuck.

Cheers

·
Administrator
25,962 Posts
the pulley is desighned to stop and start mate as chris has said and i presume you have tightened the belt???

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I haven't touched a thing. How Do I tighten the belt? I was presuming that when the Air Con is on its designed to stop / start (when you hear the click and revs rise etc)

The noise its making isn't pleasant when its off.

·
Administrator
25,962 Posts
there is an adjustment nut down there somewhere mate that tightens it but u need to loosen the bolts that hold the pump on to the bracket mate :)

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So do you think I can get to it from the top? I'll loosen the bolts that hold the pump to the bracket and then tighten the adjustment nut? Whats the benefit of loosening the mounting bolts?

·
Administrator
25,962 Posts
if you dont loosen the mounting bolts then how does the pump move to allow the belt to tighten lol

·
Track addict
4,907 Posts
To adjust the air con belt, you need to do it via the tensioner, the pump is NOT adjustable. The bolt to adjust is a bit fiddly to get at as it's underneath the tension wheel on the bracket.

Tensioning it i doubt would make any difference, as if its working fine when air con is switched on and under load then it's tight enough.

Can you post a clip of the noise up as something doesn't sound right really

·
Administrator
25,962 Posts
To adjust the air con belt, you need to do it via the tensioner, the pump is NOT adjustable. The bolt to adjust is a bit fiddly to get at as it's underneath the tension wheel on the bracket.

Tensioning it i doubt would make any difference, as if its working fine when air con is switched on and under load then it's tight enough.

Can you post a clip of the noise up as something doesn't sound right really
:doh: my bad

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I've not had a chance to have look today as football has taken my afternoon. I will try and take a small video clip with my phone and post up.

Cheers

1 - 19 of 19 Posts