Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Call Me Blakuza
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By slow I mean my progress, hopefully not the car. haha . Anyway here's an obligatory pic before I start. 1995 R33 GTR with 77.000KM

I haven't done much yet, except drop a screw in the engine bay that I never found. :bash: I was bored and tackled a quick project tonight. here's a slightly technical summary.

I did some "stage one" weight reduction tonight. Here are the figures for what it's worth! I weighed myself and then weighed myself again while I held these items in my hand. So it's rough but fairly accurate.

Stock Trunk Carpeting - 11.5lbs/5.2kg
Stock Floor Mats - 13.0lbs/5.9kg!!
Stock Jack/Tire Iron - 4.5lbs/2.05kg
Stock Spare Tire - 34.4LBSSSS/15.6kg

In an R33 GTR non vspec, factory weight is listed around 3370lbs/1530kg and "factory BHP" is 280HP. So 3370/280=12. That's 12lbs= 1 horsepower or 185BHP per ton. 63.4lbs weight savings/12=5.28. This means that ridding those pounds effectively "frees up" 5.28HP. I'm not saying you are adding HP, but effectively gaining what 5.28HP would give you in straight line acceleration + cornering benefits. Now we're up to 189BHP/ton in less than 10 minutes. That's all for now.

·
Call Me Blakuza
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Next topic. How to get rid of the wheels that came with your car that have terrible offset.

·
Call Me Blakuza
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
looks like a nice clean 33 dude good luck with the project ill be keeping my eye on this

wardy
thanks man. I took out a few more things before I finally gave up. I removed the Spark Plug Cover (something I never understood on any engine that has one...it just traps heat!), The Nissan Air Purifier (is this standard? it was between the rear speakers), the sound deadening behind the back seat, and the metal rack that held the car jack for a total of 9 lbs/4.1kg. Grand total

72.4lbs/32.9kg for free! I'm sure I can get to 100 pounds before I change anything to carbon fiber while still having the car look untouched to the casual observer.

As an aside. I love living in Japan. even the McDonald's girls look right!

·
Call Me Blakuza
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, today I took out this metal plate behind the back seat. It's totally unnecessary and it weighs 6.4 pounds/2.9kg. I also took out the "oh ****" handles, plastic covers on the seat rails(new seats coming) and some of the sound deadening from underneath the back seat carpet area, although, in a cold garage I was dissuaded from getting to involved. The other thing was the HKS coilovers. Got them set up and weighed them compared to stock. Stock suspension weighs 57.8lbs/26.3kg and the HKS Hipermax weigh 47.0/32.3kg. so my net loss for the day was 17.2lbs/7.8kg

Grand 2 day total of 89.6 pounds/40.7 kilos

Also, does anyone know if the large flat black piece of metal in the trunk that is blocking the battery adds any significant lateral rigidity to the car? I was going to remove it but I wanted to find out if it serves a purpose first. Thanks!

Updated pic of my "car ****" room

·
Seasoned Member
1,199 Posts
your making good progress for bit extra weight reduction. you could get some dry ice or a heat gun and remove sound deadning from the boot drivers foot wells. ive ditched all speakers abd fabricated some alloy seat frames in my 32. what about perspex/lexan windows ?

wardy

·
Call Me Blakuza
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm doing lexan on the back three windows for now, going to wait a bit to do the doors as I should be getting come carbon ones down the line. I'm going to search around inside the dash for sound deadening here tonight and see what I find.

·
Seasoned Member
1,199 Posts
theres nothing behind the dash sound deadning wise its all on the floor going up to the foot wells. aircon and ABS is a huge weight saving. and if your gettin serious about it GRP doors and boot skin

wardy

·
Call Me Blakuza
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm taking out the ABS , but I'm going to need a how to on it so I don't screw it up. Also need a how to on filling the transfer case. Never heard of having to fill it through the shifter...?! If that is right then what are the drain/fill bolts on the the transmission for. There's two sets of them I thought.

·
Call Me Blakuza
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When i took out my carpet there is a fire wall behind the dash that weighs quite alot!
I guess I'll be going after that. And the flat metal piece behind the back seat? all I can think is that if the battery explodes it won't melt your passengers, but no one is ever in my back seat, so that's okay.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Im also prepping my car but for track days so il keep checking this thead.

About the piece of metal its held with small 10mm bolts so imo its not adding strength to chassis etc I may be corrected though!

·
Call Me Blakuza
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think you are fine. the one I want to know about is the large black metal panel that blocks in the battery in the trunk.. did you leave that in your car? or remove it.

·
hippy
7,682 Posts
if the cars for time attack you will need that solid firewall there,you could possibly get one made out of alloy thats lighter,my gtst rear shelf and suspension area creaked when i was driving without it installed

·
Call Me Blakuza
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
didnt work on anything today except this.. haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vTqFhR5mBQ

weeeee! So can any GTR guys tell me.. I feel what I could best describe as a slight 'kick' when I"m full throttle going through the powerband. a slight lurch might be a better way to describe it. it feel like the transfer case is engaging or something, but since this is my first GTR I dont know if that's supposed to happen (noticeably feeling it). no strong odors of anything after the run, and I pretty sure it's not the clutch slipping.. any ideas?

·
Call Me Blakuza
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
well someone on another forum said that the factory ECU has a fuel cut to prevent transmission damage and that may be my issue(or lack thereof). sound plausible?

·
Call Me Blakuza
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
^figured that problem out. it was the coilpacks. anyway. there's been alot of work happening on the car. Mainly 'Paint & Body" . Everytime attack car has to look wild and crazy. right? well here you go then

Here's a few new pics. Still working on the same fender. I've been working on securing a place to do the body drawing as it is -8 degrees Celsius here and finally got one. A friend will be out of town so his garage and a kerosene heater are my new best friends. The work will probably shift to the body of the car while he is gone as we have to take advantage of the opportunity!

and here's where I helped with the drawing on the fender

:)

MORE TO COME!!!!!

Front bumper is done as well as a few bits here and there. been posting updates on other sites, but it's getting crazy. I spend longer updating posts than working on it!

·
Seasoned Member
1,199 Posts
good work thats definatly unusual art work cant wait to see all the car done keep up the pics

wardy

1 - 20 of 104 Posts