Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Free icecream
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started the car up this morning and ran back into the house for something, came out and noticed a bit of smoke from the exhaust. Defo not your usual condesation but smoke. Stopped a mile down the road and looked in the mirror and could still see it. When the car was warmed up it was no longer there and getting out and looking at the exhaust there was no smoke. Couldn't see any haze behind me while accelerating.

Recently changed the oil with Mobil1 15w-50.

Why would it be smoking when it's cold?

Please make your replies as expensive sounding as possible to prepare me for any potential need to re-mortgage.

thanks.

·
Banned
8,850 Posts
Its the weather mate, bloody site cooler in the mornings now, so smoke is more noticeable.
You will have to move to Spain or California to sort this one

E

·
0 Posts
And then your gran will die leaving you an 11 milllion pound debt to clear. Helpful bunch we are.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Simple question - what colour is the smoke ?

If it's white it's probably condensation or possibly running VERY rich.

If it's blue then it's time to get the wallet out. Or possibly you've just overfilled it when you changed the oil.

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
Also if its white/light gray , could be turbo vapourising oil , going through the seals.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Sarky thats unlikely at idle though. My will smoke when its cold under load sometimes but thats cause its blowing the sparks out again although you can definitely feel that as well as seeing the results in the mirror. Ive ordered some more IQ24's today though so should be back in full effect at the weekend

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
:) doubt its rich at idle, unles the idle is uneven though and the lamda sensor is fubaréd

+ I didnt see the idle bit DOH >COFFEE<

·
Free icecream
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The smoke is white/blue. Funny but I checked the oil the other day and it was just above full. I put 4.5l in when I changed it as I thought that was the norm, and it had been draining for over an hour.

Also it didn't do it yesterday :confused: Although the idle is a constant 800 it does sound like it misses beats. I know it is running rich (like it will make your eyes burn standing behind it!)

California it is then - gotta be cheaper than having the turbo refurbed. Thanks.

I shall be monitoring the situation .

·
Free icecream
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Right as rain again today. I get the feeling I should have been more observent filling it back up, maybe there's too much in. Still not sure why it's clear now, but hey, who's complaining!

Thanks folks, will see how it goes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts