Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As subject, just curious as to the average state of the audio equipment when you collected your cars. Did you get stock standard? (and from what I read stock standard means the speakers were complete trash?) Perhaps you had an uprated head unit but were the speakers changed to reflect this. Whats the Stock Standard head unit like anyway?
End of the day I shall be adding in some cash to the budget to change the audio anyway but would be nice to get a heads up before hand on what I might have to deal with as far as audio goes.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Standard cassette radio, dodgy shelf-mount after-market speakers. Terrible!

My good friend Harry got double-din alpine unit with changer in his, although I seem to remember the speakers were still crap. So I think its just pot luck.

·
has a large tool
1,467 Posts
my stereo was crap!!!! had to throew it away it was that bad, and the speaker sin the back i have no idea what taste the japs have but they distorted so easily, it was embarassing, but replaced them all with a touch screen dvd/tv head unit and 7x10 speakers in the back!!!! much better, but cost me a bit =(

B

·
0 Posts
yeah considering they have some really nice head units over there (they are obsessed with Double din's) they seem, for the most part, to pay absolutley NO attention to the speakers ...

anyone else found the wiring to be bloody awful as well ???

S

·
0 Posts
first two skylines, one had nothing, the other had standard. Last one had all the wiring in place, doors had been sound deadend and speaker mounts adapted, but it had been reverted to the standard kit :(

Simon

·
Super Moderator
9,426 Posts
my skyline had an Alpine head unit and boot changer, door speakers are not bad...not a bad package, but was a definate upgrade by the previous owner...

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Oddly enough the stereos in both of mine shot out and flew in to the bin, must have been part lemming. Obviously this would have been a better mix if it had looked like a lemming and sounded like a stereo but you cant have everything i suppose

Pope

·
Registered
101 Posts
guess i must have been quite lucky then, Apline CD headunit, Alpine equaliser and tape deck, loads of new alpine Speakers, big amplifier under my seat and the autochanger in the boot. Will probably have to change the head units though as no removabale fronts and a bit worried that one day I will find a window smashed in and them ripped out.

·
Banned
3,280 Posts
Previous owner added a Kenwood CD head unit which I've since replaced (after loosing my temper and breaking it) with a nice Clarion.

Still had the standard 'dual cone' speakers in it mind you.....those are currently being consigned to a box in the garage though to be replaced with something much more suitable.

·
Big is beautiful
5,275 Posts
the speakers are terrible any more than half volume and theres bad distortion, head unit good though, i put it in!

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Some shite head unit thing that would only pick up jap radio and BBC 423 or something. Was also like a lemming, as I think I ripped it out before I'd even got the car home.

Strangly enough the other speakers in the car were clarion.

After 14 hours or so and a hammer, they went in the bin as soon as I got the parcel shelf out.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
I had a separate radio and tape and below was a sony cd which did not work Put a top pioneer one in on weekend. No speakers in back,front are kenwood components but the w***ers cut the tweeters off so got a set and gotta wire em up myself some time, soounds bit **** to be fair tho !!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmmm, sounds like I did the right thing budgetting for audio as well. Way I see it is that for me, the car is where I listen to music and I would go mental without some decent sounds in a car.

·
Registered
953 Posts
standard sh*te

now tv screen thats it no speakers or head unit etc saving weight

·
Banned
8,850 Posts
Jap radio works on different band width to ours, you can get band expanders but I think not worth the trouble. It seems like the rear speakers suffer from exposure to sunlight and the cones turn to dust. Ripped the lot out and had Sony active black with boot changer and Infinity's front and rear.

·
Registered
192 Posts
My 96 R33 gts-t came with what appears to be original (clarion rebadged as nissan) double din radio/cassette/single CD head unit with 6cd boot autochanger. Cassette bit not bad (Dolby, Metal, search etc), CD OK, radio pretty useless even with band expander. As oft mentioned above speakers unusable due to 'turn to dust' problem - when I decided to see what was so badly wrong with rears got as far as taking front boot liner off and found the important rubbery stuff that joins cones to speaker chassis lying in bits on floor - wonder any sound at all came out!
Bottom Line ... It's all got to go starting with speakers..
Mike

·
Free icecream
2,112 Posts
Nice Sony HU & boot changer. Not so nice Kenwood 'blobs' on the back shelf. Original door speakers (I think) less their foam suspension, like Mike's all turned to dust.

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
Nice Alpine triple Cd in dash changer with Mini disc and bose seperates in front doors and rear shelves.

Some scrotum knicked the triple CD changer on the ship though :(

·
Registered
568 Posts
My R32 GTS-T had (and still has) a Panasonic TV/CD player, Kenwood 6 CD changer in boot (not controllable thru head unit and no remote with it so can't change CD at all, bit useless really). sh1tty stock speakers which distort badly at about 3rd volume. Need to get exhaust and intake before change head unit and changer, but the speakers are gunna be changed asap.

·
SOC Logo Champ
602 Posts
No head unit, think they are pioneer 2 ways in the front haven't had the grills off to take proper look but from what I can make out they are. Then some rubbish Audio something or other parcel shelf speakers, hence the last thread to get something better.

But I did find a small glass fish and a 500 yen coin under the rear seats

1 - 20 of 23 Posts