Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Forum Thug
4,552 Posts
The Skyline forum is everywhere except the lounge, if you dont want chitchat then dont view the lounge!

So you want to talk about cars all day long, as much as they are great, the forum need variety, we are all humans, not machines. Variety is the spice of life after all.

·
Forum Thug
4,552 Posts
i know mate, but the forum has changed so much in last year that it has lost that spark, filling it with spam doesnt help, yes variety is the spice of life, but this is a skylineowners forum not a social gathering of knitters
Sorry Tex, but this is a club of enthusiasts and friends! People come and go so yes the forum will change, its inevitable, but the spam is limited, look at the ratio of car related chat and tuning and technical threads to threads in the lounge. If we are all going to be that serious I propose that at National day people say hi and then just talk about their cars for the whole time!

·
Administrator
25,962 Posts
guys i do understand how you may see it as not car specific any more but variety is what makes this forum unique and THE BEST, we are a family forum and so cater for all now as jo has said if you dont like a thread dont look.

once we start making dedicated areas for differant groups we then risk alienating a percentage of our users and doesnt look good as then we will appear clicky and not as forthcoming.

by all means if you really are unhappy about some threads then please pm an admin and it can then be discussed in more detail.

·
Seasoned Member
6,127 Posts
so lets all type with our eyes closed so we dont see whats happening and then we will never no what anyones posted un less and i say unless you read it so how do you no whats spam unless you read it,dont get that bit

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
Recently posted on My local forum

Introduction
Maybe there are new members to your forum-of-choice, maybe old members have left or maybe you just feel you've grown out of a place you were previously happy. This guide is meant to help you to come to terms with these issues and decide what to do without causing undue anger or offence to those around you.

1. Don't Let Yourself Get Wound Up
Try to avoid sections of the forum and forum users who may antagonise you. If that's a certain sub-forum (possibly labelled General, Off-Topic, The Restroom or similar) then maybe its best not to visit it if you can help it. Remember, what you can't see won't infuriate.

Perhaps its a certain user(s). If that's the case then a brief jab of the "Ignore User" button will suddenly stop their irritating little post from being flagged to your attention.

2. Tact and Diplomacy
If you do find yourself in a disagreement, know when to let it drop.

Sit at your screen and think "I know I'm right". This works well on both counts as if they're right thay'll have to come back and admit their mistake at some point (knowing you were correct) and if you were wrong... Well, you're not going to look nearly as big a prat as you would have if you'd argued for a further 2 pages, are you?

The moral high ground is a comfortable place to sit.

3. The Past
There is no point harking back to "The Old Days". In much the same way as the dead cannot, except under very special and disputed circumstances, be made to walk then it its impossible to somehow wind a forum back to The Glory Days where the posts were brighter, the conversation more sparkling and the banter wittier. Members leave, members join.

Forum members should strive for new Glory Days. A forum is what it is now, not what it was 18 months ago.

4. Time Out
If it gets really bad, take some time out. Spend some time posting on other forums. Maybe even speak to people or read a book when you would have been surfing. After a couple of weeks you'll have forgotten what all the trouble was about and you'll have so many posts to catch up on that you won't want to waste time squabbling.

Weaning yourself back in slowly is a good thing too. Too many posts and The Anger may return.

5. Grand Goodbyes
If it has all become to much and you've decided that the forum is - for whatever reason - no longer for you then you should probably leave.

Grand Goodbyes are not a good way to go. They cry "Attention Whore" and make even the most respected former-member look like a petulant child. More to the point they make a return so much more difficult should, at some point in the future, opinions be sought or required.

Better to slip away quietly and have people ask, "where's that old rogue gone?" than say, "Thank **** that ****'s left".

6. Its only the Internet
Remember, above all else, that you're only posting on the internet.

Nobody can hear you scream. It can be impossible, despite the most careful use of smilies, to relay your emotions or emotional state accurately. Take this into account and treat people as you yourself would like to be treated - surely then you can't go wrong.

Good luck and happy posting,

1 - 20 of 43 Posts