Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello guys, after reading all the previous threads i'm pretty sure my pas pump is screwed, as i have no hicas light glow up, speedo works fine, no probs with the car except no pas really, it doesn't feel completley gone like when you try to turn the wheels when the engine is off but it's still bloody stiff,there's no noises or grinding either. iv'e drained the old crap out the system filled with new and bleed it all properly.but with a few taps on the pump with the wheels off the ground she sprung to life briefly but thats as much as i got, now nothing again. i managed to find a pump from someone who said it was a pas pump but when it turned up to me it don't look like the pump i'm after it looks like the pump under the one i was tapping, am i right in thinking the oil pump is located under the pas pump on a 96 spec 2 r33 skyline? iv'e chased the pipes as much as i can with it on the ground and being at work, and im pretty sure one of the hoses on the bottom of the two pumps goes into the sump,and i know one hose from the pas bottle goes into the top pump, do these skylines have duel pumps or anything like that? iv'e looked on dirty ebay but theres people calling all sorts of pumps pas one's. so i'm thinking iv'e just got an oil pump instead of the pas one i'm after, i'm not going to send it back as i'm sure i will need one sooner or later too and have no plans on getting rid of this motor,just really looking to confirm if my thoughts are right before i buy anything else, many thanks, sketchie.

T

·
0 Posts
Yes mate, There is only one pump for the power steering fluid. And yes the top pipe connects to the fluid bottle. The bottom pipe goes to the rack and then returns back to the pump. If you have NO leaks then I think its safe to assume the pump has failed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cheers for replys lads. na bud the pas failed a couple of wednesdays ago when i turned her on, so i let her sit while having a chat with some mates, started her up and pas was back online. then last week started her up after work and again no pas. drove to hayling to see the old dear and on the way off it sprung back to life. then died the next day. i checked all earths and clips in the hicas ecu, battery and everything else in all the previous threads with pas problems, then some matey on hjc said he had a pump which was still wraped from when he got it (but he didn't need it anymore) but the width of the pully wheel match's the lower pump and so do does all the pipe work and the pump it's self for that matter, so i can assume it's a oil pump.

T

·
0 Posts
The pump you want to check over sits on top mate. Just behind the radiator on the right hand side. You should also have the aircon nozzle in front of the pump.

So NO leaks then?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
na no leaks top cat, nothing out of the ordinary atall, just real heavy steering, the pump still has a little life in it as when i do lock to lock it bites slightly, just gonna sorce a spec 2 pump asap.just out of intrest any of you two done away with your pas? coz the way i look at it, its just extra weight and another thing to go wrong cheers. sketchie

T

·
0 Posts
If its going "normal" from lock to lock then it definitely is a pump failure. Given it's been topped up correctly.

It'd be worth it to fit a new pump. :)

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Is the fluid level dropping, if it is and there are no visible leaks it could actually be leaking inside the steering rack.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts