Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my number 6 cylinder is sparking, but it is not firing! i tested teh coil pack and it was good. i even tried swapping out the ignitor pack, coil pack, and plug, but it still sparks with no fire. does anyone know what might be happening? i think the spark could be grounding itself on the head or something... or maybe the injector isn't ionizing the fuel mixture and its just dripping in teh cylinder... if im right, how could i remedy these?

·
Administrator
14,725 Posts
Sounds like you've got an injector down.

·
Registered
199 Posts
my number 6 cylinder is sparking, but it is not firing! i tested teh coil pack and it was good. i even tried swapping out the ignitor pack, coil pack, and plug, but it still sparks with no fire. does anyone know what might be happening? i think the spark could be grounding itself on the head or something... or maybe the injector isn't ionizing the fuel mixture and its just dripping in teh cylinder... if im right, how could i remedy these?
id take the coil pack out,take the plug out and put it in the coil pack ,disable the fuel and get a freind to turn it over and watch to see if the plugs doing its stuff if it is it could be an injector(have you looked at the plugs for colour diffrence ?)

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thats what i thought. but ill try to see if i cna find spare injectors and plugs to replace.

id take the coil pack out,take the plug out and put it in the coil pack ,disable the fuel and get a freind to turn it over and watch to see if the plugs doing its stuff if it is it could be an injector(have you looked at the plugs for colour diffrence ?)
thats what i did after work today, i ran teh engine then pulled out the fuel pump fuse and let the engine die, then cranked it a few times to burn up the fuel. then i took out te plug and connected it to the pack and watch it spark an orangish color. they all sparked that color. my friend said thats a wimpy spark and that he thinks its the plug. as for the color of the tips, all other tips were colored as if they had fuel burnt while the dead cylinder had no discolorations (i cleaned all plugs a week ago).

if it is the plugs or injectors, any idea where i could get cheap replacements?

tomorrow im gonna pull the injector out and see if it sprays when i turn the crank angle sensor by hand. if it mists... its the plug thats bad, if it blurbs out, its the injector.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Done a compression test on that cylinder to ensure its not a piston/valve problem?
no, last time i did a compression check was a couple months ago, but it was good at 149. ill check it again tomorrow

·
Member No 48
1,192 Posts
If the compression test is OK the have a very careful look at the injector wiring harness and plugs, cables get hot and brittle then break.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If the compression test is OK the have a very careful look at the injector wiring harness and plugs, cables get hot and brittle then break.
i see. last night i took everything out and fiddled with everything. i even went to the connections that went to the injector and made sure they were secure. i was going to pull out the injectors today and see if they spray when i turn the crank angle sensor by hand, but i got lazy. i ended up driving to cambride and suddenly the cylinder started firing!! i felt an extra 30 or so hp fly through the wheels. it was great! hopefully it stays like that. im still going to swap out teh injectors and plugs and reground everything. with my luck, it'll **** itself and go right back to running on 4 or 5 cylinders...
ill keep the thread posted!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts