Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It turns out one of my spark plugs was destroyed:swear:.... like proper messed up! does anyone know what could have caused this?
Cheers​

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tell me about it! theres no way round having to take the head off anyway i dont think! im not the best with skylines as ive only owned this one for about 3 months now so im still learning!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
haha i know i dont want to take it off! has to be done though! altough i might not evan know what im accutally looking for tbh! im going to hope its nothing that i wont be able to fix myself as i was looking forward to taking a trip down to the nurnburgring soon! anytips on what i should get before starting to take the head... for example new head gasget is obviasly needed but more then that im not to sure!

·
No longer a rep :( but still here :)
6,432 Posts
Might as well do the cam belt while the head is off and the belt tensioners, Also check ancilery belts. May as well get a top end gasket set, Even if you dont need them, its always good to change to fresh gaskets for piece of mind

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah im not to sure if i can do all the myself haha....but its pretty much changing everything....aswell as cam seals and stuff aswell. just ashame means it will be off the road for a while! :(

·
6,432 Posts
Na man, you could do it one saturday, whip the head of friday night, Work late! Have it in to the engineers in the morning to check it over, Reface (skim) whatever else it needs. Whack it back on in the evening Work late again in to the night and have it done for sun morning. Its 100% do-able. Ive don e it and im sure many others have. I know its not the same but did my MG van in march, head off, head skimed, head back on and running for the afternoon.

Thats considering the dodgy spark plug bit thats melted off hasn't scratched up your piston or barrel

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
doesnt sound to bad! ill give it a go! so all i will really need is a new haed gasget and not any other things as such if all im doing is taking the head off and putting it back on when skimmed

·
6,432 Posts
Ive never done a head gasket on a skyline before but on many many other motors, If all your doing is taking the head off for inspection purposes and there is no damage and your happy, Then all you will need at the minimun is:

Head gasket
Head bolts
Manifold gaskets
Tube of instant gasket (always handy)
Antifreeze

But this is the absolute minimum, As i said before depending on how old your cam belt is, other belts, tensioners ect you may as well go to town and do the lot.

I state again the list of parts ive stated is the ABSOLUTE MINIMUM

Good luck

·
Administrator
25,962 Posts
acyually the minimum he will need is
head gasket
anti freeze
depending on exhaust side gasket

head bolts are re-usable
inlet ones are reuseable assuming you dont damage it

i have just had my engine rebuilt with forged pistons and all i have fitted is a new headgasket as all other gaskets on the head have been re-used :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Awesome thanks for your time and help mann! looks like i will be learning alot in the next couple of days! haha im sure if i run into any problems the will be more posts from me on here haha again thanks!

·
Administrator
25,962 Posts
As i said i wasn't sure about the head bolts because ive never done a skyline head gasket but thats normally the minimum for most motors
in all my years working on cars and vans i have never needed to change the headbolts unless one was already broken in the head mate :)

·
6,432 Posts
Well not wanting to argue but i was a mechnic for 5 years with a recovery firm where i live and always changed them as most cars have "stretch" bolts and must be changed. The only ones ever i haven't changed was in a 1.8 dohc ford engine which the customer said he didnt want it doing and guess what?? 2 bolts snapped when torqueing up took place. Engine didnt last long but not my problem, All im saying is why risk it??? Im not sure about skylines as said before but i would change to be sure

·
6,432 Posts
Ive just looked into it and new head bolts are not required on the rb engine but if it was me i would do it for my piece of mind.

Appologies speedr33per but i would or i wouldn't sleep at night LOL :(

·
Administrator
25,962 Posts
Well not wanting to argue but i was a mechnic for 5 years with a recovery firm where i live and always changed them as most cars have "stretch" bolts and must be changed. The only ones ever i haven't changed was in a 1.8 dohc ford engine which the customer said he didnt want it doing and guess what?? 2 bolts snapped when torqueing up took place. Engine didnt last long but not my problem, All im saying is why risk it??? Im not sure about skylines as said before but i would change to be sure
fair enough mate but i have been a mechanic for 20 years, in a garage for 10 and in my own for 1 year and never had to change them.:)

and my rb engine has just been rebuilt to handle 400 bhp plus and guess what original headbolts have been re-used :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts