Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
2.8 HKSステップ3 、
3,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For info... This was given to me by a colleague at work

The SPECS - speed enforcement system is now live on the M4 between Junction 12 - Theale, and J14 Hungerford, just east of Membury Service station. It was switched on officially, by a transport minister, for a '6-month trial period' on Tues 7 October 2003.

It is likely to be set at 78mph real road speed! No human intervention is required in issuing speeding tickets, so very large numbers can be issued automatically.

The cameras are mounted on the overhead information signs, (pairs of tiny cameras). They DO NOT FLASH, so you won't know you are likely to 'cop' a ticket at the time.

Info from the internet follows.

SPECS -speed enforcement system
The digital speed camera developed by Speed Check Services Ltd (SPECS) obtained Home Office type approval in 2000. The camera is a major technological development over previous speed cameras and has proved successful in improving road safety and reducing casualties. SPECS cameras work in pairs and calculate the average speed of a car over a length that can be between 250m and 10km. topWhat is SPECS? It is the only approved automatic digital speed enforcement using average speed measurement in the UK. The system is deterrent based with the ultimate deterrent being enforcement.

Is there any similar technology currently in operation?
No. SPECS is a unique product.

Although conventional automatic speed enforcement systems are in operation, none currently can enforce speeds over a distance - except SPECS.

How does it work?
SPECS works using automatic average speed digital technology. A pair of cameras creates a speed controlled zone and groups of cameras can be linked to create a speed controlled network. As vehicles pass between the cameras pairs they are digitally recorded. The time it takes for the vehicle to travel between both points is used to calculate the average speed.

If the vehicle speed is above a speed threshold, a speeding violation record is automatically generated. This includes images of the registration plate, a colour image of the vehicle and text data including the time, date, location and average speed travelling between both locations.

Violation records are stored on large storage capacity discs. This system functions 24 hours a day and can be interfaced with existing ticket processing systems.

How will motorists know what to look out for?

Motorists will need to look out for cameras erected on tall blue-coloured distinctive columns in the verge and central reservation. The cameras do not flash and all the data is digitally stored so that there is no need for film. Speed Camera Signs will be erected explaining to motorists that speed enforcement will be taking place.

What is SPECS and SVDD?
SPECS is the brand name for the system.
This stands for SPEed Check enforcement System.

SVDD stands for Speed Violation Detection Deterrent. It is the name given to the unique technology the SPECS system is based upon which has gained Home Office Type Approval (HOTA).

What is Home Office Type Approval (HOTA) testing and why is it significant? Home Office Approval testing is in place to ensure that equipment meets the highest standards and any information provided from HOTA approved equipment can be considered as providing admissible evidence in UK courts.

ACPO (Association of Chief Police Officers) approved of the system and supported its application for Home Office Type Approval. Two Police Forces, Kent and Leicestershire, championed the trials testing on the M1 and M20 Roadworks.

The PSDB (Police Scientific and Development Branch of the Home Office) undertook scientific evaluation as a necessary part of the HOTA process. This evaluation included test track trials at an independent test site. The evaluation was successful and verified the SVDD technology used in SPECS as 100% accurate.

HOTA is significant because it empowers UK Police Forces to use the SPECS technology to bring charges against speeding offenders, confident in the knowledge that they can present irrefutable supporting evidence.

In addition, UK Home Office Type Approved products are regarded internationally as meeting external high standards of quality and integrity.

THE INFO BELOW IS HISTORIC< AND IS NOT GUARANTEED UP TO DATE, OR CURRENT.

Where is the system in operation?
Permanent SPECS systems are now operating in Nottingham, Northampton and
Gloucester:
A616 Stocksbridge Bypass in South Yorkshire
Nottingham Phase 1 - A610 & Ring Road
Nottingham Phase 2 - Extension of Nuttall Rd A610
Nottingham Phase 3 - Extension of Western Boulevard South, Ring Rd Nottingham Phase 4 - Extension of Western Boulevard North, Ring Rd A43 Lumbertubs Way, Northampton Linden & Podsmead, Gloucester - Residential area

Temporary roadworks throughout the country currently using the SPECS system include. M62 J7 -9 Roadworks, Warrington M6 Thelwall Viaduct, Cheshire M62 J7 - 9 Roadworks, Cheshire M6 J6 Spagetti Junction Roadworks, Birmingham

More sites to follow in the next few months.

Is the data legally enforceable?
The HOTA enables the SPECS violation records to be presented as admissible evidence in UK courts.

Apart from its use as a speeding deterrent, are there any other benefits? Yes. There are many other longer term benefits which will be possible once the SPECS systems are installed including increasing road safety and decreasing speed profiles, more accurate journey time information and other performance data and speed management benefits.

·
SOC Logo Champ
602 Posts
Thankfully the old man just blagged a Road Angel through work, which I have been using.

Although the digital display on it seems to goad me to drive faster, just to see if it can keep up :D

·
2.8 HKS&#12473;&#12486;&#12483;&#12503;3 &#12289;
3,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Also found ( thanks to the road angel ) on the M1 southbound yesterday that there is an average speed sensor just as you come to the M25 junction..

·
Registered
102 Posts
I think the radar detectors only pick up Gatsos and possibly some mobile sites. To get SPECs you need GPS based systems

·
Devils disciple
860 Posts
I think Paul G is right my road angel picks specs up, as Applejack said previously there are specs cameras in Northampton just off the A45 just as you go towards weston favell (lumbertubs way) i usually get a warning when i'm still on the 45!

·
3,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So if I use my Angel and the 550 instead of selling it I should be covered for everything except fixed digital.. ah well need to now get an origin blue that way the bastards wont get me..

·
Devils disciple
860 Posts
Interesting,being as the road angel can except downloadable info i don't think it's unreasonable to expect blackspot to update the road angel to pick up mini gatso's and alike,i'm gonna look into it i think.

·
3,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am gonna hard wire in the road angel when I change the clocks to the white nismo dials.. ( dont wanna take the dash of twice ) so in about 6k miles...

·
Devils disciple
860 Posts
How would he/she delete the info from the blackspot data base then?they would only be deleting from their unit would'nt they?

·
3,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I deleted a camera from my set and it stayed deleted for a few days then today it recognised it again and went beep, so as far as I know it deletes it from you set and not from the database..

·
SOC Logo Champ
602 Posts
You can delete whatever you like from your own set. When you update your system, it uploads any changes you have made to the DB, BUT these changes must be confirmed by more than one person, before they will change the main DB.

Your unit then wipes it's self and downloads the most recent DB so the camera/blackspot you previously deleted will reappear unless x amount of others have also deleted it.

I believe adding cameras is the same process

1 - 20 of 22 Posts