Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well lads

right as usual my gts-t has started the no speedo heavy steering and the rev count also didnt work ..so i got myself new clocks and pluged them in , the rev counter works 100% but the speedo still doesnt and now the hicas light is coming on all the time.(my hicas doent work anyway) in closer inpection i noticed a black wire the screws into behind the speedo clocks looks like an earth wire but its not doing anything could this be my problem? or is it a speed sensor on the gear box ? if so where is the sensor and where do i get one? how much are they ?...soory for so many questions but i need this fixed cos its annoying the balls outa me

cheers

rab :cheers:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
heeelppppppppp

·
Seasoned member
2,485 Posts
I ended up owning rabs car, I never solved it. The speedo at times didnt work, and about 20 seconds later the steering went heavy, at times a quick slap to the dash sorted the speedo and the steering.

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
If a slap to the dash worked then it's a loose connection/wire/earth somewhere , then maybe that wire is an earth ? Def worth investigating !

I can remember removing 1 wire from the dash when i change to LED's sure it was black and screwed into an earthing ring on the circuit with a tiny screw !

Hopefully some one will have a definite answer for you ! I'm going with earth problems they cause all sorts of hassle and not easy to find sometimes

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Dry solder joints on the back of the clocks is more then likely your problem there.

If your hicas is locked out the light will come on. Most take the bulb out so they dont get a nasty orange glow. Silly question but Did you check the old clocks to see if it had a working bulb init???

there should be no lose wire coming out of the clocks (stock) that sounds like a earth for maybe a speed converter chip

·
Registered
176 Posts
Dodgy speedo convertor?

Steering is speed sensitive so if the chip fails, clock will show 0mph, the car see's no speed it will remove all power steering assistance.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Ive nearly sorted this out on my car its going to be the plugs on the gearbox, I went through the whole system last week - Clocks, Dry Joints, Cables and the last thing I went through was the plugs on the gearbox,And found that water had got into the plug (cleaned out the best I could but the weather proof cover apparently doubles up as a water butt).
This is definatly the problem on my car and it does sound similar on yours .

ps. if you drive for a while and get the car warmed up, then switch the engine off then on again does the speedo start working again ??

I asked the same question a while back with the same symtoms no speedo, heavy steering.

The HICAS system wont see a fault if it cant see the speedo ( It needs to see the speedo, have you put it into diagnostic mode- it will probably turn out it cannot see the speedo )

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'd love to see you re-solder a membrane without melting it.

There are printed circuits on the individual dials but I'd still say check the convertor first as it's a much more likely cause.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts