Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hoping someone might have experienced this before. I've done a search and looked at a few similar faults but I still dont know. I would have thought it was the coil packs myself. As I accelerate and the engine reaches 3000 rpm it splutters like crazy! However if I allow the revs to build really slowly there is no spluttering. Its so bad that there is no power there and is very 'jerky'. I've recently fitted some NGK platinum plugs so I dont imagine it would be them. I've also had the coil packs off for a look but on removal of the rubber sleeve, the contacts look spotless. Hoping its not going to be too expensive. Any info would be great, thanks.

·
Administrator
25,964 Posts
was the spluttering there before you changed the plugs??

·
Registered
344 Posts
I dont think he had any spluttering before no, but its been fine since he changed the oil and plugs until yesterday when i had his car for a drive.
Mine does it too, but at 4k-5k revs! Was going to but Splitfire coilpacks after xmas and see if it makes a difference?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How much is a set of those bad boys then? Will I have to sell my wife and kids? No spluttering there before or after. Just started happening. Pulled out to over take some one on the way to Lisburn, got along side them then it just started farting and coughing. Still got round though. Took a bit longer than expected though.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Think I paid just over £300 for mine already in the UK.

As far as I'm aware, you can get them quite a bit cheaper and there's different options. i.e. buying abroad and risking paying duty etc.

Would think there'd be a trader on here that sells them though as coilpacks regularly give up the ghost.

·
Track addict
4,907 Posts
Opie oils sell them look in the traders section. I paid £277 incl for mine

·
Auto Rocket
70 Posts
i know this is an old thread, but did you fix the problem?? what was it? i have the same problem!
I just posted this in another thread, but guarantee these mods will fix your problem and make your car run solid.

NGK "BKR6E" plugs (make sure there is no "-11" on the part number after the 6E..)
Wasted spark coil pack kit
HKS boost cut defender
Ballbearing boost tap set to 10psi (bleed valve is no good, must be ballbearing type)
Main cause of missfires/pinging/hesitation/spluttering:
  • Spark plugs with the wrong heat rage and gap
  • Coil packs failing under load
  • Boost set to high - Factory ECU will fuel cut if it reads 10psi or higher
  • Boost controller is a Bleed valve – these are common for causing boost spike, increased lag and other problems.

·
Administrator
25,964 Posts
and im .9 bar whatever that is and soon to be running 1.2 bar on standard ecu :D:D

·
Auto Rocket
70 Posts
What mods have you guys done? Some mods can lead to the ECU been fooled, either that or boost gauge is not telling the true boost level.

The R33 factory ECU does have a fuel cut, and kicks in at 10psi or just over (11.5psi). Most piggy back ECU's will stop the fuel cut from kicking in however.

·
RB25DET Series II
1,066 Posts
in my case recently i had the car running to lean so i did several things but the mod i just did was taking the connector from the box (in trunk) and cutting the white wire, and grounding it giving the fuel pump +12v constant.

·
Administrator
25,964 Posts
What mods have you guys done? Some mods can lead to the ECU been fooled, either that or boost gauge is not telling the true boost level.

The R33 factory ECU does have a fuel cut, and kicks in at 10psi or just over (11.5psi). Most piggy back ECU's will stop the fuel cut from kicking in however.
induction kit
turbo elbow with screamer pipe
downpipe and combined de-cat
single silenced cat back
fmic
walbro 255 lph fuel pump
boost controller
gtr exhaust cam
generic re-mapped rsp ecu
and just been fitted is
400bhp plus turbo
z32 afm