Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Seasoned Member
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
while my car is being worked on and the front spoiler is off i would like to rub down and repaint out all the stone chips. I would also like to use a plasticizer to reduce future chips. Can anyone run through a DIY on how best to do this and in what order as i thought i would give it a go as it wont be the last time i will need this done.( prob once a year to keep it looking good)

Thanks

·
Seasoned Member
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What colour is your car? I wouldn't do it if you have metallic paint. It will look worse!!

Its metallic silver :shakehead:

In which case can anyone suggest a decent paint shop in the chelmsford essex area that aint gonna charge £400.
The spoiler is off the car and has no lights in it so surely a simple task for a paint shop !!!

·
R33 GTS25
1,145 Posts
I did this on a Mitsu Galant I had, that was silver metallic.

First, use fine sanding paper in the stone chips to give the filler and paint in the following steps a good surface to adhere to. Also sand away rust if there is any.

Then wash the bumper with a silicone remover (the stuff that paint shops use to wash'n'prep surfaces before painting).

Use some sort of body filler to fill the stone chips (doesn't have to be fibreglass filler if the chips are small, the creamy-looking stuff is fine).

Sand down the filler and apply primer on the chips and a bit of the surrounding area with a small brush.

Sand down primer.
Wash with silicone remover around the chips. Wait until perfectly dry.

Spray paint the surface in and around the stone chips and blend with old paint. Use proper spray cans from an auto paint supplier (not Halford's and similar stuff), as they have very good nozzles that actually leave you with a good result.

Use a clear coat on top of the paint coat, and again; use proper spray cans for this.

Any decent garage will be able to supply you with good paint in the car's colour code as well as a good clear laquer.

Hope this is of help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts