Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a breif chat with a man in the know recently and he suggested I change the springs on my car.

Would I need to change the shocks at the same time or not? Should I go lower, stiffer or just better quality?

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Depends on what your looking for, I have whiteline springs and dampers which slightly lower and stiffen the suspension car the car, made a huge inprovement without being overly firm as i do ~30k miles or so a year in mine

Best plan would be to find whose local and go have a potter round in their cars if they'll let you

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
I just had Trust Dowmax springs put on mine and left shocks alone and and they make an enormous difference to handling and appearance without losing too much ride quality.

·
Gets Blown by Twins :D
2,327 Posts
Nick MW said:
I just had put Trust Dowmax springs on mine
Damn It Nick - Stop copying everything I DO!!!!! LOL :D :p :D (did Sumopower strike again mate? )

ps Did you notice on the box they're called "Digital" Springs???? :D

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
IanH said:
Damn It Nick - Stop copying everything I DO!!!!! LOL :D :p :D (did Sumopower strike again mate? )

ps Did you notice on the box they're called "Digital" Springs???? :D
This is getting quite amusing Ian - didn't know you had done yours - what a difference though:D
Was confused by the digital thing also...

E

·
0 Posts
I git Ohlins adjustables on mine. I didn`t even know they were there untill it was on the ramps & someone pointed it out. The rears were on the softest setting & after giving them 4 clicks the handling has been transformed :D

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Was that when you had yer clutch done Eddie..??!?

On pure looks, Nicks mota looks luverlee with them DowMax springs on.. After seeing the transfomation on Sunday..!!! Like seeing two different motors rolling on and off the ramps..!!!

E

·
0 Posts
Yes it was mate. Cant remember who spotted it though.

Whats Buster had done now? I thought his was lowered ages ago??

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
CLAIROL_BOY said:
On pure looks, Nicks mota looks luverlee with them DowMax springs on.. After seeing the transfomation on Sunday..!!! Like seeing two different motors rolling on and off the ramps..!!!
Eddie - different Nick and a very happy one:D

E

·
0 Posts
Cool.
I remember you saying at Santa Pod you wanted to get it lowered. Bet it looks the dogs danglies mate. C`mon lets have some pics.

·
Dandy Highwayman
1,314 Posts
I tried uprated lowered springs and then moved onto tein springs and shocks - springs helped a bit - with upgraded shocks as well it feels like a sports car not a tourer - so if youve got the cash you'll really notice the diff

E

·
0 Posts
Looking good Nick but i think we need before & after shots mate to be able to do a proper comparisson :D

·
2,327 Posts
Nick - Do you know what offset your alloys are? (getting a new set but the offset's causing headaches!)

Ta.................................IanH

·
On The Far Side...
203 Posts
Ian

I know what you mean, I've been looking for a set of wheels too but keep getting conflicting info as to suitable wheel widths/offsets.:rolleyes:

According to Nismo, correct offsets for GTT's are: SKYLINE GT-TURBO R34 17x8.5 +30 225/45R17 and 17x9.5 +38 255/40R17

(see the Rays website here )

Interestingly, for TE-37's in the exact same size, the offsets are +30 front and +35 rear.

All the places I've spoken to here do not recommend going wider than 9.5 at the rear, unless you're prepared to start rolling arches and adjusting the camber.

Dave

·
Old Git
4,826 Posts
Ian,

I know what your going through with the offsets, I had this problem with my 200SX, although the offset number is relevent, it also depends on the design and shape of the spokes. The 200SX has a front caliper clearance problem and there aren't that many wheels that will fit without spacers:eek:

You could give my mates place www.rochfordtyres.co.uk a try, they are just outside Southend and have many wheels in stock. It may be a case of trying wheels to see if you have a clearance problem or not. That's what I had to do.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

·
2,327 Posts
Cheers for the help folks :D

Dave - I got the same conflicting info about TE37 Vs Nismo size's but I wanted to make sure before I ordered.

Cheers...............................................................IAnH

1 - 20 of 20 Posts