Skyline Owners Forum banner

Sputtering at 3/4 to full throttle

2K views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  Urabus99 
#1 ·
Ok so I have a 93 r32 skyline GTS-T. Rb20det motor with 132km all stock. Nothing done since I've gotten it in july . Don't know the history of it when it was in japan . Just know the timing belt and water pump has been replaced. The car has started to sputter at around 4k rpms and doesn't lose boost . And drives fine under normal driving. I've read it happens and ppl have changed the coils and plugs it goes away but would the coils put on a code ? My exhaust is still stock and has a little rust on the muffler . So my question is if either the cat, Resonator or muffler is clogged could that make it sputter also cause there is nowhere the exhaust pressure could leave ?

#2 ·
All those scenarios could cause misfire and the coils are favorite at that mileage but wont throw any codes if breaking down ....i would also check the fuel pressure.

#4 ·
Changed out the exhaust. Looked at the coils they were fine. We did change the spark plugs and still getting the sputtering at full throttle at around 3500 to about 5k rpms but pulls hard and never drops boost. Friend thinks its hitting boost chip . Saying its hitting 7psi but wants more . Idk. Havent heard of that before .

#5 ·
You can't tell if the coils are breaking down under load by looking at them....swap them out for a known good set or fit new, the boost is limeted by factory boost controller and you shouldent be hitting fuel cut on a factory setup unless the is a problem with fueling IE weak fuel pump or bad fuel pressure regulator.

#7 ·
Have you now swapped out the coils for a known good set or new? otherwise you may be wasting your time hunting for other causes first.

You can just disconnect the feed to the FPR and add extra hose supply the the pump with 12v and then use a stopwatch and a bucket an measure the amount over a minute this will tell you if its bad, You can also add a gauge to the FPR line to the return from the injectors and check that there is the correct fuel pressure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.