Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Airborne skygod
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my skylines developed this really annoying and embarrasing sqeaking type noise from what seems to be the front left suspension area ive had the car looked at and no one has a bloody clue what it is all they keep saying is "it might be ya bushes mate" but i want to know for definate before i go buying stuff for no reason has anyone else had this happen and if so how did you remedy it any help greatly received cause its really annoying me now
cheers deant

·
R33 GTS25
1,145 Posts
I have the same on mine, and it's both the left and the right caster rod bushes making the noise as they are worn out.

Got new ones but haven't fitted them yet. If you want to have a look yourself I could take a picture of mine so you'll know what to look for.

·
Airborne skygod
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah nice one cheers that would be a big help thanks how much did that cost then?

·
R33 GTS25
1,145 Posts
I have no idea what they would cost you in the UK, I'm in Norway and we're a high-cost country where everything is bloody expensive....

I paid around £115 for new ones here in Norway (supply only, not fitting).

We have a lift in a garage at work, so I'll see if I can find the time to get the car airborne sunday evening and get a few snapshots of the bushes.

·
BOOOOOST
1,863 Posts
yeah had the same thing also...........rod bushes on both sides front end were knackered made a sqeaking noise when hitting small bumps...as for price i dunno as shes in getting them repaired at the minute plus other work :)

·
R33 GTS25
1,145 Posts
Right, if I am correct in thinking that I've found the caster rod bushings, then these pictures should help you out.

If I am not correct in thinking that I've found them, I'm sure someone will point that out in no time! :D

This picture shows the caster rod bushing's position in the left front wheel arch (indicated by red circle courtesy of MS Paint) :
http://www.bilunderholdning.no/skyline/oldbushing1.JPG

This picture is a close up of the caster rod bushing in its place:
(yes, it is indicated by the red arrow)
http://www.bilunderholdning.no/skyline/oldbushing2.JPG

This is what a fresh new bushing looks like:
http://www.bilunderholdning.no/skyline/newbushing.jpg

And finally, another shot of the fresh new bushing including its packaging for easy part number reference:
http://www.bilunderholdning.no/skyline/newbushing_partno.jpg

Hope this can be of help to you. Compare your worn ones with the pictures of the brand spankin' new bushing....

·
Tyne/Wear/Tees Arse Rep/Gtr Shop Rep
11,412 Posts
i have this same annoying squeek!

it dissapears when its raining, as its pissed down all summer i havnt had time to source mine so this is a great start.

:worshippy:

·
Registered
814 Posts
i would have thought something like that too - bushes...had the same on my audi (after 4 years of daily driving - and i 'mostly' only keep to the speedlimits) - only in this case it was the stabiliser bar bushes...

cheers....:)

·
confused.com
6,592 Posts
anyone got a price on these in the uk as yet? having been under the car today i realised mine are kaput on both sides.

·
R33 GTS25
1,145 Posts
I had my caster bushings replaced yesterday, and while the old ones were completely shot they were not the source of the sqeeking.

So I put the front of my car on stands and removed the wheels, and had my brother turn the steering back and forth.

Put my head in there for a while and listened to where the squeek originated from. The right side was totally silent, so I continued to the left side and put my head in there.

It was evident that the sound came from the outer part of the hub, either from the lower arm ball joint or from the tie rod bushing. Manouvering my head around in the wheel arch, I was finally able to pinpoint it to the lower arm ball joint.

This makes a lot of sense, as it would also explain the slight clunking noise that I sometimes get from the front left side when stopping or setting the car in motion.

An attempt at lubricating the ball joint didn't make it any better, so I have just asked a couple of performance places for prices for new arms with the ball joint in it (as Nissan supposedly doesn't sell the ball joints separately, the entire arm has to be purchased).

Hope this can be of help to the rest of you!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts