Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Professional job seeker
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

What are the first mods that should be done to a GTR? Obviously, these would be the starting point so if possible would match stage two or future mods. What sort of power output is expected from stage one and at what point would a replacement ECU be required? Also, any recommendations as to which parts work best would be appreciated.

Thanks!

:)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Mods

Right then, stage 1 eh...

Downpipes, Either HKS or TRUST
Decat pipe - Sumo
Exhaust cat back - HKS HIPER MUFFLER or SDII
Induction kit - HKS Direct Drive kit, will save you money in long run over a Super power flow kit
Spark Plugs - HKS Iridium Racing PRO plugs if you use the car most days, if not normal HKS Iridium plugs
Twin Power Ignition Amplifier - HKS

These mods will make the car fly compared to a standard setup. You could go one step further by installing a boost controller (HKS) and a Nismo or HKS Fuel Pressure Regulator, turn up the boost to 0.8,.0.9 and maybe splash 1.0 if the fueling can be acheived thru the standard injectors/FPR setup tweek.

Keep the standard ECU, dont chip it, if you go further than this buy a full ECU, ie Apexi Power FC or HKS F Con and save yourself the time and money instead of a 'chip' and have it mapped.

With the mods above you should see around 400bhp all depending on what you started with, maybe a tad more.

Good Luck, if you need any parts, well sell HKS parts off the shelf.

Andy

Sumo Power Ltd

·
Registered
57 Posts
Question for Dirk

Looking at your list , for someone like me who isn`t very technical, how do i tell if i have the twin ignition fitted and the plugs you suggest???
Also can you supply these items if i don`t??

jason

·
Registered
220 Posts
Not sure about the plugs as I've not seen the two to compare. The ignition amp is located on the back of the engine on top of the spark plug cover, should be able to find a HKS sticker or Split-fire sticker on there somewhere if it is uprated.

·
Needs a self cleaning car
1,455 Posts
Alternatively

Just a little less. A'PEXi induction, HKS or Trust downpipes, Some species of HKS or Trust cat back and leave the standard cat in place.(Leaving the std cat on has low end torque benefits as far as SVS & I are concerned, but it's not a popular opinion.)

After that, R34 turbos & an ECU upgrade. Either HKS F-Con V, A'PEXi Power FC, Trust E-Manage or the top pup, the Mines VX.
Either fix the boost at 1.0, or get a boost controller.

if you go for steel internals on your R33 turbos, you can get a better range of boost. Do it on the R34 and they're better, apparently.

Speak to Abbey Motorsport, SVS, Rod Bell, GT-Art, Hi-Teq or Middlehurst Motorsport for expert advice.

·
Professional job seeker
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Excellent!! :D

Thanks very much for the info, that has helped confirm a few things. I should point out that I don't actually own a Skyline yet but hope to in the not too distant future. I am trying to build up my knowledge before taking the plunge. When I do purchase one, modifications will be budgeted for and hence start soon after getting it home.

Thanks again for your advice!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Mods

Pidge said:
Not sure about the plugs as I've not seen the two to compare. The ignition amp is located on the back of the engine on top of the spark plug cover, should be able to find a HKS sticker or Split-fire sticker on there somewhere if it is uprated.
The Twin power is a gold box a bit bigger than a *** packet and will be plugged into your ignition wires that plug on the coils. It has a red 'led' light when working.

Jas, what!, never tried/seen em? you havent lived!! Remember one of my old posts elsewhere ' if you change enough small things' well, this is one and a must if you are serious about power. They are completely different to a S series HKS plug and are the 'R' Pro series, come in 40 45 50 52.5 and I think 55, cant remember, aint got the book in front of me.

Its what they use in the HKS Drag cars;) including the twin power system.

Got em on the shelf bud:cool:

Would use 40's for a standardish GTR, 45's for a stage 1 boost tweek GTR and 50's for serious power, 52.5's, well, I only know 1 man whom uses them, guess who:D

Ps. Loose the Cat.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Sold then!!

Dirky boy,
when i get back onshore i will loo to see if the twin ignition system is fitted although like i said the car has had all the other requirements met with regards to de-cat, front ipes etc etc. Have the boost controller fitted but daren`t run on high til i get it down to Rods for fear of detonation / fuel starvation etc etc. To that end , how do you distinguish from the standard plugs to the fancy jobbies you have???
In the event that mine are all standard i will be on the phone toot sweet!!
jason

·
Registered
220 Posts
Dick:D car come with HKS plugs when I imported it, will tap you up soon (very soon;) ) when I need the 55's;)

;) Secret agent Pidge signing off;)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Plugs

The Pro plugs are ' R40, R50' etc instead of normal HKS plugs which are S40 etc. If I get time tomorrow I will post up the pictures of both, they are completely different. As opposed to the electrode and ceramic of the plug extending out og the end as per normal plugs, the Pro plugs dont and have a tiny electrode.

You may be able to see the pictures as www.hks-power.co.jp, not sure.

If you have access to a HKS Goods Master catalogue they are in there.

Andy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts