Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just purchased a 1997 stagea, it handles very badly! Wobbles about at speed!
It's cover 60k. 4wd engine and gearbox all fine! There's no nocks or clunks!
Is this a common problem? Is it bushes? If so which ones need replacing?
I'm off on a trip soon so I don't have time to do the lot!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

·
Big horlicks fan
830 Posts
what size rims are on it ? mine has 17"" and i had a similar problem,new set of spigot rings sorted it

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does anybody know where I can get a "not to pricey" set of suspension for the stagea?

Ps: when I say "wobbles" I mean it's funking scary, totally unstable, even cats eyes can make control difficult above 70mph! With your foot down its not to bad, but ease off and "woah!"

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I've got a Stagea RS4 that's on BC Coilovers. Handles very well for a big car. Out corners my mates Seat Ibiza Cupra and hardly any body roll.
If you're looking for a set if standard suspension then I have got a set here if you want to refurb them (new bushes) and fit them. PM if you're interested. They're jut sitting in the shed at the minute. Only removed for upgrade nothing wrong with them.

·
Reborn!
2,028 Posts
My gtst does the same mate and i changed my suspension to tein coilovers, had it laser aligned, got the wheels balanced, uprated the tension rod bushes and it still feckin does it :(

Next for me is ARB bushes and droplinks then balljoints, its so feckin infuriating!

·
Everybody knows that the bird is the word
9,198 Posts
Simple, if you don't want a car to handle like a boat.... don't buy a car that's literally the size of a boat!!

:dogpile:

·
Reborn!
2,028 Posts
Ha ha ha

Seriously though i have the same with mine, it feels like a major tramline pull and is bloody unnerving. I also have no Hicas with a complete removal kit.

On b roads i dont even attempt to overtake for fear of being launched into a ditch.

·
No longer a rep :( but still here :)
6,432 Posts
Ha ha ha

Seriously though i have the same with mine, it feels like a major tramline pull and is bloody unnerving. I also have no Hicas with a complete removal kit.

On b roads i dont even attempt to overtake for fear of being launched into a ditch.
So why the hell do you want your car so fast if you cant use it?? Let the japspeed rep, er i mean reeper have a look at it for you. Get it sorted then you can use the power

·
Administrator
25,964 Posts
So why the hell do you want your car so fast if you cant use it?? Let the japspeed rep, er i mean reeper have a look at it for you. Get it sorted then you can use the power
:rofl:

·
Reborn!
2,028 Posts
Its on the list off things to do mate, im just pricing up a full poly bush kit just now to see if that will help although its been checked twice by mark at the garage aswell and there is nothing noticeably worn, I think it may be the width off the wheels as on normal roads it drives like a dream.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've got a Stagea RS4 that's on BC Coilovers. Handles very well for a big car. Out corners my mates Seat Ibiza Cupra and hardly any body roll.
If you're looking for a set if standard suspension then I have got a set here if you want to refurb them (new bushes) and fit them. PM if you're interested. They're jut sitting in the shed at the minute. Only removed for upgrade nothing wrong with them.
Hi mate
Thanks for the offer, what part of the country are you in? Which are the main bushes that need replacing when I change th suspension for coilovers?

Matt

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Sure you havnt got a bent oar? Does the rudder need setting up?
Seriously though I would start by getting the alignment, all the bushes and suspension checked to see if any parts are knackerd. Also worth checking the hicas tie rods and ball joints.

Steve if you have done away with the hicas have a good look at the rear subframe bushes if they are poo they can cause rear end wobbles.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I'm in Bedfordshire buddy. I've got the standard struts that came off the car at 55k. I would think a set of arm bushes would tighten everything up. Also if it's wandering then maybe upgrade the steering rack bushes. A set of stiffer springs would be an idea if you're not going for a full coilover setup.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts