Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please tell me how I can get hold of some standard NGK plugs for the GTR? I have tried everywhere including some accessories shops up here in Donny that are totally independant rather than chains like Motorworld or Halfords and they can normally order in ANYTHING but they can't seem to get them from anywhere. I'm desperate now as these champions that are in it at the moment are causing quite a bad missfire at the moment.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts

·
Banned
5,275 Posts
If your a member of the GTROC then you can get a discount, I paid £64 for a full set-delivered!!

If not speak to Sarky quick stylee as he's placing an order tomorrow for a group buy

Pete

·
Banned
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sarky is only buying for GTS-T cars though aint he? And I'm not a member of GTROC as they charge way too much for something I can't get alot of use out of as I can't stand all the arguing some of them do on there. But thanks anyway.

·
Banned
5,275 Posts
Ok then, as the pope says try spark-plugs.co.uk, their prices are good anyway and I can vouch for their service

;)

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Sarky can sort the equivilent Denso plugs for you. I got IQ24's from spark-plugs as it was cheaper with my GTROC discount (not that its that huge, they are very competitive and i needed them in a hurry)

Paul

·
Banned
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are the IQ24 the plugs I need? If so they are £71.64 from spark plugs.co.uk so will order them tonight as need them urgently.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Yes they should be fine if the car is not massively modified... If you would prefer the NGK ones they are marginally cheaper i think. I got the IQ24's as they are the ones that came out of the GTS and were recommended for it by my tuner (I dont know whats in my GTR yet, I havent had to look).

Its a pity you are so far away as i have a spare set and a part used set from when i was sorting a problem out you could try to prove a point, sometimes a mid range misfire can be caused by a degrading coil pack or two.

I'd give them a bell in the morning and see what they have in stock as they can have them out to you for saturday. Plugs are much easier to put in the GTR compared to the GTS

Paul

·
Banned
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I know that from having them both myself. GTS Plug change used to give me a headache just thinking about it but in the GTR it's easier than it was in my capri. lol

I'm actually gunna nip to halfords in the morning to see if I can pick up the NGK ones as a mate of mine with a 32GTR but doesn't post on here as he doesn't have home internet access says he definately bought his from there under that product code. Will probably cost me more but can't go on the motorway with a missfire again am too frightened of damaging something.

I am 99% sure it isn't a coil pack because I borrow a full set of coils from Abbey and put them on the car but with the same plugs that are in there now and the problem was exactly the same. Also the missfire didn't start until I changed them to these crappy Champions. Only reason I have the champions is because had to take the old plugs out and one of them snapped so had to buy new ones but girlfriend went to halfords and these Champion Platinums are listed for 97 onwards skyline so she bought them :(

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Yep sounds like by a process of elimination thats the problem, did you try regapping the ones you have, bring them down to 0.8mm, it may solve the problem

·
Banned
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah I did. That did lessen the problem but has not solved it. Unfortunately although the car is not running really high boost it is running around 0.9 and it's around 0.8 that the missfire starts so all I can assume is that the plugs are not holding the required power and the boost is blowing out the candle so to speak. Hopefully the NGK plugs will do it for now and then eventually will buy some iridiums.

·
Free icecream
2,112 Posts
in emergency...

As you're passing you could pop into Graeme Goode Racing near Leicester off J21 M1, you'll pay top dollar tho. Take the spanners and do them there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts