Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Backyard Mechanic
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry this is in the wrong section but I need an answer quickly.

Can I start the car with out the gearbox and clutch attached? I need to eliminate something as the cause of my vibration. Just want to double check just in case it damages something?

Cheers

·
Seasoned Member
4,504 Posts
I cant see it damaging anything as you can dyno an engine at the flywheel without it even being on the car :D

·
Track addict
4,907 Posts
How did you plan on starting it?? the starter motor bolts onto the gearbox.

Or have i totally read your post wrong?

·
Track addict
4,907 Posts
Lol, i thought i had missed something in your 1st post thats all.
Well in theory it could be possible, but you would have to somehow bolt it to the engine, perhaps make some brackets up?? but the starter would have to have the exact same clearence as when fitted into the g/box, otherwise you could damage the teeth on the ring gear and or starter. To be honest you are just making work for yourself stuart. What sort of vibration do you have maybe we can advise you

·
Backyard Mechanic
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
hmmm, yes sounds tricky, I wonder if there is another way?

The vibration starts at around 2500rpm, doesn't matter weather the clutch is in or out, it did happen after doing lots and lots of doughnuts with a diablo in a tunnel, this is when my gearbox failed as well, don't know if it's connected or coincidence? I have the beast out now, just wanted to eliminate anything else while I was at it, what else could cause this?

The vibration stays throughout the rev range and makes the car feel as if it doesn't want to accelerate rather than before it wanted to go.

It was bouncing of the rev limiter quite a lot, I know it's bad but the tempatation was too much :( I've heard oil pumps don't like this, but could that cause such a vibration?

·
Track addict
4,907 Posts
I'm assuming that this vibration is there when both stationary but revving above 2500 rpm and also when driving??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts