Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Member No 2.
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My R32 GTS-t has just suddenly had starting problems!. It started last Friday, The car turns over and she trys to start then dies. I have to try 7-8 times before it kicks into life(think it may be a fueling problem!). It happened again today and this time when i got her started about 3 miles down the road it suddenly stalled. Any idea what this could be?. Sometimes she starts no problem, but others it does.

I switched the AFM the day before, could this cause the problem?.

sorry it's a bit vague.

Paul

·
Old Member
814 Posts
The last thing you played with is usually the first port of call when fault finding !!!

·
Member No 2.
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
starting problem

Pete,
I think you are right. I will switch back to the original AFM.
Thanks for your advice.

Paul.

·
Old Member
814 Posts
Don't know of any way to defeat the AFM, it is all tied up with the engine management stuff, whitemans magic.

·
Ut oh
3,796 Posts
One thing i've found is that if your running a hks super power flow or similar style foam pod filter the oil from the filter will foul the afm quite regually causing stalling and stuttering, this has happened to me loads of times now.

·
Member No 2.
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
starting problem

gtslad,
You could be right as I have a HKS Super powerflow filter. And my so called mechanic sprayed the foam filter with some WD40 stuff a few weeks ago!!!!!. Mind you i have swapped the AFM only a few days ago and the problem only started then!. Can you recommend a good filter?.

Paul:(

·
Registered
15 Posts
Aaaarrrghh...!!!

WD40?

He does'nt know that this stuff is flamable?

Since a friend learned its lesson when he blew-up a 500V switchbox on a crane after cleaning with WD40 (nobody get hurt) i am carefully with that.

On my Evo i have the same problem sometimes.
It sucks all the Oil from the K&N Filter into the AFM...

Usually i remove the AFM from the Car and clean it with big ammounts of Liqui Moly or another Contact Cleaner which is especially used for Electronics (it must be free of residues).
Be sure, to hold the AFM allways with the small "Box" that contains the connector on top, to be sure that nothing drips inside.
The Contact Cleaner evaporate after Seconds, to be secure wait a few hours the AFM is ready to run again.

My english is bad... i hope you understand what i mean. ;)

·
Banned
8,850 Posts
Dino your English is very good. (where are you from) ?
Motocross shops do a special spray on for foam filters which I have used (very sparingly) for nearly two years with no probs. They also sell a special foam filter cleaner/degreaser, which I do every six months or less.
If you dont want the grief go for a Blitz dry stainless mesh type filter

·
Ut oh
3,796 Posts
Usually i remove the AFM from the Car and clean it with big ammounts of Liqui Moly or another Contact Cleaner which is especially used for Electronics (it must be free of residues).
I'd agree with Dino 100% clean the afm first...:)

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Think its probably my fault........ :(

Could try cleaning the AFM in Petrol, bet a bucket and fill it up and let the bugger soak overnight, then give it a good shake out and let it dry off (for a decent amount of time).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks Buster... i'm from Switzerland.
I started learning english by myself when i was more or less 6yrs. old... at this time the only tv-show we received in my place was on sky television... in english. :D

Well, back to Topic:

I would not use things petrolbased Products like Fuel etc. they leave residues on the thin and sensitive wires in youre AFM... it could occure the same Problem like the WD40.

Special Cleaners for Electronics do'nt do that... you would save money in the wrong Place.

·
Banned
8,850 Posts
Well done Dino, I hope our use of abbreviations or slang does not make it too hard for you to follow what we are saying.

I of course use perfect English and grammer all the time.

A product available from Halfords called carb and injector cleaner will do the same job as the PCB board cleaner and is easy to obtain. It fully evaporates and moves shite like you wouldnt believe.

N

·
0 Posts
apexi is the best filter by far
blitz one altho passes more air , does not filter as good
these have been tested some where on sdu.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thats a great idea... but i am located in Bern.
Unfortumately thats nearly 2 hours away from geneva.

cheers anyway :40oz:

;)

·
Member No 2.
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Shagged!

Just found out that its definately the AFM, An auto electrician has had it on test all day and he is of the opinion that the sensors are giving out false signals to the ECU causing the over and under fuelling. Hence the starting and stalling problem. At least I know where the problem lies. Guess I put it down to experience buying second hand!!.

Paul.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Jock Alert, when you visited the bear pits, you was less then 10 minutes (measured with Evo 6 under "good conditions") away from my place. :D
I live in Münchenbuchsee, its more or less at the countryside but i can reach the center of the city within a few minutes.

I think i know which irish Bar you visited... must be Mr.Pickwick's.

http://www.pickwick.ch/bern/

Let me know when you come here next time... then i show you the other Places like the Cuba-Bar with the "chicas caliente". ;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts