Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My car sometimes struggles to start. It was fine when I went to view it etc, but the chap did have the battery on charge the night before.

I'm thinking possibly the battery has seen better days??

My thoughts are that the gauges, defi controller etc is drawing too much at the same time when the car is trying to start.

Any thoughts?

·
bla
17,374 Posts
just answered your own question there.... duff battery...

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
When i first got mine the battery had run out in a week, but i was not using it as waiting for insurance etc.....

Anyway it turned out to be the broken CD player had a CD in there that was constantly spinning even when the keys werent in the ignition which completely drained the battery!

Get another battery and see how that works out for ya mate!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It sorta catches, then dies straight away. Does it a few times, then finally starts. It only happens if it's been sitting. If I've been driving or something it starts fine.

Does anyone know which battery fits the car? Halfords don't list anything for the skyline.

PS : Is everyones battery in the boot in a R33?? (sorry, I'm new to the world of skylines!)

·
Dorset/Wilts Area Rep
8,231 Posts
you can get a battery drop tested to see if its faulty.

does teh car turn over fine , agian and again and again and again .... well you get my drift. Then its unlikely to be the battery.

Have you had the plugs changed.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll test the battery tomorrow.

Don't know if the plugs have been changed recently or not. Possibly wrong gapping or something?

If I can't suss it out, I'll put a vid up of it and see if anyone has any ideas!

It seems to turn over fine, catch... looks like it's gonna start for about 1/2 second, then die. Does it a few times and finally starts??? God knows!!! lol

Anyway, like I said, I'll test the batt tomorrow, so that'll rule something out.

·
Dorset/Wilts Area Rep
8,231 Posts
first thing I did when I got mine was to change the filters, plugs, all oils and fliuds. then did a quick search on here and reconned my coilplugs as well. Might as well seing as they had to come out.

Think its just piece of mind at the end of the day....

I did get all the bits to change the cam belt as well. then noticed that the stamp said it had only been done 10k ago... might change it it I ever change the cams

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know the coil packs have been done.

I'll test the battery tomorrow, then look at getting plugs, oil/filter change.

(any pointers where I can get some decent plugs from?)

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
starter spins fine, and the engine doesn't catch (start). When it does, it dies. After a few times it's fine.

I'll get a video of it later on today to show you what I mean.

·
Bad Ass Mo Fo!
1,892 Posts
dont worry.. its cause of the starter button.. like i said, didnt wire it up to cut of the acc with firing so drains alot of power.. if you turn the key while pressing the starter, will fire nicely (or use a little throttle to get it going!) :)

·
Bad Ass Mo Fo!
1,892 Posts
yeah, that should do the job.. most times you wont need to, its just because the starter takes up so much current, and it is a small race battery in the car. when you turn the key, it cuts all the accessories. you can rewire it with another relay which will cut power when you press it, but i never bothered. you can also just use a bit of throttle and it will fire nicely!

:)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts