Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Aggressor Ultimus Maximus
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all Skyline enthusiasts!

I live in Sweden, where we usually drive LHD cars. This poses a problem since the Skyline has only been manufactured as a RHD car. Of course one could go about with that as is, but I myself would prefer to convert to LHD.

So, the question presents itself as follows:

Does anyone of you guys know where I could get a steering conversion made, preferrably in the UK? I don't own any Skyline yet, hopefully this situation will change in a not to distant future.

When I've been asking around I've been told that a company in Dubai performes steering conversions like this, but I'm not to donf of the idea to fly to UK, buy the car, drive it to some place on the Saudi-Arabic peninsula, convert it and then drive home.

Some other things I've been told:

- The best Skyline to make LHD would be the R33, since it suppousedly uses a standard platform?
- The firewalls on Skylines are non-mirrored.
- Dashboards will have to be custom made if none can be found from another car that would fit.
- The exhaust manifolds will have to be replaced by other ones relocating the turbochargers.
- Some people say the differential will pose a problem, some say that it will not.

Probably this is of little importance to you people, since you obviously have no need for a steering conversion. I will therefore take this moment to express my gratefulness to any enlighting answers to this thread.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I`v seen a few pictures of cars which have had this done in Dubai and they looked a mess to be honest. I doubt you`ll find a company in the UK to do the job as there is no market for it and if anyone was willing to do it I`m sure it would cost a fair amount.

Sorry I can`t be of any help!!

·
Registered
469 Posts
Try this .....

here's a link to a guy in Finland who's done it. Click here

Click on conversion near the top left and you'll see some pics. The text near the bottom says that he's happy to give advice to others who want to do the same.

Sounds like they are also willing to do the conversion for you.

Good luck

·
Aggressor Ultimus Maximus
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Many thanks for your replies, mates. That Finnish site was quite interesting, though I didn't find any means of contacting him via his homepage. Maybe one can do a more serious search for the guy when the time is right.

When I was told about the LHD conversions made in Dubai, a price of about 4 000 USD was mentioned for a complete conversion. That's a good deal of money, but still it's less than what I had expected. Perhaps I will also be able to do some of the work needed myself, resulting in keeping the price down just a bit.

Naturally I would lose power when relocating the turbo chargers, but if I have to chose I'd still make this modification, since one can always map the ECU or something to get some of the power/torque back. The question is just how much power I would lose... I don't think it's too much though... I guess we'll have to see about that.

When the time comes, I'll let you know of the progress made (or the lack of it). :D

·
Registered
469 Posts
Had a poke around, couldn't find the finnish guys contact details either, but on his page of old cars he says he sold one of his old ones to a guy called Jarmo Annunen who's email address is [email protected] - maybe you could ask him.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts