Skyline Owners Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone know where i can get a stick on plate for my Skyline. I dont want to block the air flow to the intercooler and the plate that i have at the mo is way way to small to let me drive around for much longer without a bit of attention from thur ler lol any help is much appreciated.

"Thwish"

·
Premium Member
14,725 Posts
Have a look in my garage, is that the style your after? If so most motor parts shops do them, got mine from one called motormann, i think even halfords do them?

Dont believe those style are illegal as a lot of standard cars have them like alfa's, had mine on for years with no probs.

·
Registered
828 Posts
My local car shop does them as i got one a couple weeks back.It worked out around £6-£7.
The white backing is the illegal bit so they say as it not as reflective supposedly.Ive always used them on 4x4's tho and never been stopped for the plates.

I stuck mine between the grill and the top of the fmic on the bumper so its at a 45 degree angle.Its not pretty but it was about the only reasonable place to locate it on mine.

·
Premium Member
14,725 Posts
Putting it on the bonnet above the grille is a very popular place to mount them.

·
Registered
775 Posts
On bonnet is illegal on front bumper is not as long as they comply with the correct DVLA sizeing

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Were you to use the search facility you'd soon establish two very important facts..

Firstly, stick on number plates of any description, in any position in any circumstances are absolutely illegal, no if's but's or maybe's.

Secondly, jap imports which have no specific mounting facility for UK style number plates have a concession..they can have small number plates with characters 64mm x 44mm with 10mm spacing, so a very small plate is possible.

See how well I managed to control my angst, despite the fact this frickin subject has been covered in GREAT DEPTH several times and I'm pissed off going over it for every new owner, do you guys think you're the first to do this for god's sake?

TRY THE FECK'IN SEARCH BUTTON, if nothing else it's polite and respectful, we put a lot of effort into making this basic info available to all.

If you can't manage that then you should be driving a Fezzie instead of boring the pant's of everyone with queries like this.

Sorry, but come on, how boringly basic can you get?

Aitch

·
Yeah boyeeeeeeeee
6,604 Posts
Cheers - I'll assume I'm okay then (I'm not going to go and measure things like character height, spacing and borders etc.).

There's no mention of the 'angle of dangle' being a requirement so my sloped plate should be okay. :D

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks to all

Hey guys thanks to all who gave up some good advice.
Aitch i did a search but to go through dozens and dozens of posts can take ages. If you dont wanna give helpful advice then do me a favour and dont post on my threads if your gonna turn up with that kinda attitude. Thanks mate

"Thwish"

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
It's not a matter of chillin out dude, it's a matter of getting it right and avoiding getting nicked. It's not big and it's not clever to deliberately flout the law, it is big and it is clever to find loop holes, so avoiding penalties whilst pissing on plod's bonfire.

If everyone did basic research and excercised due diligence plod would die of starvation, which would be nice.

Obviously this is all very obscure to most 19 to 25 year olds, which is why they all get nicked frequently, wreck their cars weekly and bore every one else to death moaning about it for weeks afterwards.

Aitch

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Read the post next time MATE

For a start I ain't a 18-25 year old MATE!!!! Im a middle aged driver who has never had AN ACCIDENT NEVER CLAIMED ON MY INSURANCE AND AM NOT TRYING TO FLAUNT THE LAW IF IM GETTING A FULL SIZE NUMBER PLATE INSTEAD OF THE TINY ONE THATS ON THERE AT PRESENT. YOU REALLY SHOULD READ THE POST BEFORE HIJACKING SOMEONE ELSES WHO IS TRYING TO MEET THE LEGAL REQUIREMENTS AND NOT FECKING BREAK IT MATE!!!!!

·
Registered
441 Posts
i dont think there's any harm in going over some subjects as there maybe some new insights or advice that wasnt covered last time.
I make searches but to be honest its fecking useless going over hundreds of posts just to get the right one.
So calm down and put yourself in a newbies position (i am one :grinno: ) if you were that holy and law abiding you wouldnt be driving a skyline?

so back to your corners gentlemen.

·
Punch me.
9,398 Posts
Hey guys thanks to all who gave up some good advice.
Aitch i did a search but to go through dozens and dozens of posts can take ages. If you dont wanna give helpful advice then do me a favour and dont post on my threads if your gonna turn up with that kinda attitude. Thanks mate

"Thwish"
i didnt have any problems finding that infomation in the search function, if you cant be bothered to go through the threads then you cant really expect people to constantly rewrite the same stuff over and over again eh

i know aitch spent more time writing his post than you spent searching lol:cheers:

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
The forum is a resource, not a personal assistant, use it accordingly. Do you think you are the first with such a simple basic query?, there are hundreds of Skyline owners here, virtually all of whom have experienced these problems over the last few years, so of course the info is here, and elsewhere.

I have expended many many hours (hundreds, probably thousands in fact) posting here, but as others have explained, it's a pain going over and over the same stuff.

The annoying part is there are numerous resources defining the query you made, including gov' websites, it just requires the poster to have a little nouse and the ability to type "number plates on imported vehicles" into google, I can guarantee that search will give you full info in 10 seconds or less, but of course that would mean thinking for yourself.

Aitch

·
Registered
962 Posts
Aitch, a simple 'Use the search function in future' would have sufficed!

You don't need to go on a verbal tirade to new members. At least give them a chance to learn the etiquette of the site before shooting them down.

And Deathwish, I believe (but I am no authority on the subject) that small number plates are allowed on Jap imports but only if the lettering is still of legal size. If I recall correctly, your car has a bike plate with smaller lettering so would not be legal in any case. There are plenty of people on here who have been caught and fined for having such size plates.

Stick on plates may also be illegal but, at a larger size, may also escape attention from the plod.

I guess you are replacing one illegal plate with another but perhaps reducing the risk of being fined. It's up to you whether you wish to take that risk or not, no biggie.

I know of at least one forum member that has 'old style' black and silver number plates and has not had any problems to date.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.