Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
r32 gtr...old skool cool
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive recently fitted a pit bcu+ boost controller to my series 1 gts-t (r33) and ive set the low boost to 5 psi and hi boost to 8.5 psi but when i drive fast it hits the warning limit of 9 psi on both hi and low settings.......im not sure what ive done wrong and the instrucions dont say anything about troubleshooting problems so i was wondering if anyone can help please.

·
r32 gtr...old skool cool
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
:wave: suppose this will be another of those threads were i get little or no help lol.

·
r32 gtr...old skool cool
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
anyone......please help as i want to go to a skyline meet this weekend but want to get this corrected first.

·
r32 gtr...old skool cool
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
is this the way it wants to be for a gtst........ i can connect it to the actuator but were does it connect to the turbo as i dont have the other hosetail as shown at the top of turbo in this diagram..

·
r32 gtr...old skool cool
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i connected the top pipe in the pic above to the intercooler pipe (exiting the intercooler) and it was still jumping high as if the solonoid wasnt doing its job correctly.....i dont have the supplied air filter to fit in the vacuum hose to the controller so could this be the cause and if so what can i get in a hurry that will work....

·
Dorset/Wilts Area Rep
8,231 Posts
you may have to turn down the higest pressure. Keep turning down until you can live with it.

my settings are 0.35 bar for low and 0.39 for high

I then hit 0.7 and 0.85 ish

This is because of the gain figures as well.

This is all dependant on air temp as well as on a cold hot days you may find yourself overboosting

·
r32 gtr...old skool cool
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok thanks for that i will give that a go as my blitz seperate gauge seems to be getting just over .6 bar before the elctronic boost control display goes :screwy: .....certainly doesnt feel like its producing what the digital guage says.....i trust the blitz guage more anyway. What gain levels do you have on yours, maybe i could set mine the same and give that a go at similar low and hi boost settings. whats the warning level set to on yours as well please.

R

·
0 Posts
On my boost controller you can set ratio and gain. your ratio determines how much boost and the gain determines how quick it gets there. if your gain is too high, you will get major boost spikes.

I'm a total novice at this crap and only going off what I have learned from doing my own boost controller.

·
r32 gtr...old skool cool
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
only thing is my gain is set at 0

and the controller itself shows it sits at -18psi whilst idling.....is this to low...
with a 5psi low and 8.5 psi high and 0 gain i cant get me head round whats happening

R

·
0 Posts
also, I have it set to drop the boost by 7 if it spikes above my set max boost (which is 0.85 bar) so should it boost to 0.86 or higher, it will immediately reduce the boost to around 0.78

·
r32 gtr...old skool cool
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
firstly cheers for your help r33stu.....just thought id mention that and to anyone else who has posted.

my controller is a tad confusing as it has has lo and hi boost settings in PSI
and Gain is measured in % eg 100% being the fastest it opens.
do you just go by a seperate boost gauge for setting the controller and ignore the missmatch (but then some controllers as you mention are ratio and not psi)

eg does the boost controller figures have to match my seperate BLITZ guage because i dont know how i can set a limit on it if 8.5 psi on my controller display is say 10 psi on my blitz guage.... for example if 4.5 psi on the controller gave me 8.5psi on my blitz should i just set the limit on the bcu+ to be 4.7.

sorry for all the questions im a tad confused.

·
r32 gtr...old skool cool
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
would do mate but i dont know anyone local to me thats any good. i know your suggestion makes sense and if i cant sort it thats what i will have to do.

R

·
0 Posts
My boost gauge works in BAR....I wish it worked in PSI!

When I started configuring my boost controller, I set the ratio to 10 (according to the manual this is 10% of maximum boost - which is bollocks BTW) and my gain at 5.

I then went on the road, held the revs at 4.5k in third gear and then floored it. I took note of what boost pressure I was getting i.e 0.35bar and then I would increase the ratio by 5 and then rinse and repeat. This gave me a clear idea of what boost pressure was being acheived with what ratio.

Do this in your car, take note of the PEAK boost achieved in each run and then adjust your settings upwards until you are happy with what you have.

First time I did this, I didn't fully understand the ratio and my first run peaked at 1.1bar!! :eek:

on high boost setting, my car peaks at about 0.85 bar, and rarely spikes above this - though it does occasionaly happen with a pedal to the floor 1st to seond gear change......but then I have it set to drop the boost if this happens.

R

·
0 Posts
With regards the discepencies between the controller and the seperate gauge, I can't help you there. I have my controller sat on my steering wheel and rely only on that for boost readings. I have been assured my controller states the correct pressure as stated by recent RR.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts