Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought my first skyline r33 gtst spec 2 and all running fine for 2 days then developed a missfire above 4500k

Changes the plugs, no change so decided to order a set of new coils from RSP (spot on help/service over the phone. Thanks chaps)
Fitted the new coils today and as suspected the missfire has gone but another possible problem has started

first of all the car has got down pipe, decat, cat back, apexi air filter, japspeed intercooler, RSP coils, greedy profec b boost controller

The boost controller has never been set up correctly so it's turned off at the moment

Took it out for a test run after fitting the new coils and with the mIssfire gone i noticed it is seriously over boosting it holds around 7.2 psi up to 4500rpm and around 10.5 psi up to 5100rpm but between 5100 and 6000 it runs up to 14.4 psi then between 6000 to 7000rpm it drops back to 11.2 and pulls better again.

But confusing

Any ideas chaps

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Maybe because the boost conroller isn't set up as its not plumbed in correctly.

Get that checked over and set up correctly and I would think it will be ok.

·
Registered
983 Posts
if the boost controller is turned off then it won't matter whether it's setup correctly or not, it'll just be using the actuator to regulate the boost. any chance the downpipe is fouling the wastegate penny and causing problems? is it a decent one or an ebay special? alternatively maybe the actuator is fubar'd?

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I would run a pipe from the intake straight to the actuator.
This should lower the boost pressure to actuator pressure.
If it then holds stable boost you know it is a problem with the profec b instillation. If the problem persists you know to look elsewhere.
Jono

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
if the boost controller is turned off then it won't matter whether it's setup correctly or not, it'll just be using the actuator to regulate the boost. any chance the downpipe is fouling the wastegate penny and causing problems? is it a decent one or an ebay special? alternatively maybe the actuator is fubar'd?
Surly if is not plumbed in correct

It wouldn't matter if it was on or off???

But what's the point of having a boost controller if your not going to use it.

There easy to plumb in and set up dial in around .8bar boost and go from there if its too much just turn it down till your happy.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The previous owner told me it's a nismo down pipe
just seems strange it's only started since I have done the coils.
Maybe I didn't notice it before because of the missfire covered it up

·
Registered
983 Posts

There easy to plumb in and set up dial in around .8bar boost and go from there if its too much just turn it down till your happy.
really? set a boost level then turn it down until your happy?? surely the reverse would be a better approach to setting up a boost controller?

besides the quote was "The boost controller has never been set up correctly so it's turned off at the moment" which suggests to me the controller is plumbed in correctly but the settings haven't been set up yet (boost level, gain, etc).

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Only had the car on the road since Monday so not had chance to have a play with the controller but apart from the missfire all seemed well untill this
the previous owner said it wasn't set up fully but when I did some research on how to set it up and what numbers to look for I found the numbers that had been set were miles out so I turned it off to avoid any damage until I can set it up or get it set up.

Still not mega confidend yet, don't want to break my new toy, the mrs wasn't happy I bought it so better not mess it up !!!!!! Lol

·
Registered
4,921 Posts
If the boost controller was "never set up properly"
then thers a real chance of it not been plumbed in properly
and ther may lie the problem.....or not.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If the boost controller was "never set up properly"
then thers a real chance of it not been plumbed in properly
and ther may lie the problem.....or not.
I downloaded the manual from the net and had a look and under the bonnet all seems ok but I'm no expert (not daft mind but it's my first jap/skyline)
the only bit I havnt checked is the back of the controller but from lookin at the manual it doesn't look like rocket sience, if that's been done wrong I would be shocked

·
Registered Insane
997 Posts
My choice

R.B Motorsport
Unit C4
Towngate Works Industrial Estate
Dark Lane
Mawdesley
Lancashire
L40 2QU

Telephone 01704 822848

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
really? set a boost level then turn it down until your happy?? surely the reverse would be a better approach to setting up a boost controller?

besides the quote was "The boost controller has never been set up correctly so it's turned off at the moment" which suggests to me the controller is plumbed in correctly but the settings haven't been set up yet (boost level, gain, etc).
Yes .85 is the rule of thumb save max boost on stock tubby asuming tubby is stock

not all cars will run well at .85 some may run better lower some better higher. I would just play it save and turn it DOWN not up.

This might be to do with fueling health of engine gap of spark plugs condition of afm or other mods.

So yes if unsure turn it down.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
you have a leak in the wastegate control pipe, its venting pressure and letting the wastegate stay shut

run a new piece of pipe/rubber hose (petrol pipe or similar) between the boost reference point on the intake and the wastegate actuator, that should stop the over boost, and cut out any control errors

then just replace alll the wastegate actuator/boost controller pipes with new, unless you can find the split one and just change that, check tee pieces first, especially if they are plastic!! ;)

·
bla
17,374 Posts
Sound like fueling needs to be sorted, possibly boost controller ??? Should have a remap with that spec.

More than likely you will think RSP is to far.. Then take her here where Roger said..

R.B Motorsport
Unit C4
Towngate Works Industrial Estate
Dark Lane
Mawdesley
Lancashire
L40 2QU

Telephone 01704 822848

great bunch and will sort your issues :cheers:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
you have a leak in the wastegate control pipe, its venting pressure and letting the wastegate stay shut

run a new piece of pipe/rubber hose (petrol pipe or similar) between the boost reference point on the intake and the wastegate actuator, that should stop the over boost, and cut out any control errors

then just replace alll the wastegate actuator/boost controller pipes with new, unless you can find the split one and just change that, check tee pieces first, especially if they are plastic!! ;)
I'll check all the pipes and T pieces when I get chance. Hope it's sumat simple like that otherwise it's gona need more pennies spendin oooohhhh noooo the mrs will go mad!!!!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Think it might need the ecu sorting anyway to get the best out of what mods it's already got, a friend of mine has a skyline that has had some work done at RSP n it runs mint (good excuse for a road trip down there)
got a few other mates who have had work done at RB before with good results too but they did say to 1 of them that they wouldn't run anymore that 0.6 - 0.7 bar on a standard turbo but from what I have read on here seems 0.85 would be ok

is 0.85 a good figure to go with??????????

1 - 20 of 39 Posts