Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting a strange whirring noise when I first start the car and turn the steering wheel to the left/right. The steering wheel doesn't have to be moved much for the noise to occur.

The noise then disappears and doesn't occur until next time the car is started from cold. I've had a look underneath the car and in the engine bay but cannot see anything obvious that might be causing this.

Anyone any ideas what it might be?

Cheers

Steve

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
PAS belt?

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers guys.

Gonna be changing that soon when I have the cambelt done in the next couple of weeks, so hopefully it will last until then.

Guess I better get on the dumbells just in case...

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
The power steering pump can sometimes make that sort of noise just because the oil hasnt warmed up. My car does it for a short time but only in the winter first thing in the morning.

·
R33 GTS25-T
597 Posts
I agree with that noise somewhat. But I also agree that when I noticed this I changed my PAS fluid IMMEDIATELY because I KNEW there was something not right with it. Turns out the fluid was almost black and probably came brand new with the car. Runs spot on now, even in the cold.

Followed a tut on here for a complete flush actually.

·
tdi power
13,297 Posts
flush it out as i bet its never been changed

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'm getting a strange whirring noise when I first start the car and turn the steering wheel to the left/right. The steering wheel doesn't have to be moved much for the noise to occur.

The noise then disappears and doesn't occur until next time the car is started from cold. I've had a look underneath the car and in the engine bay but cannot see anything obvious that might be causing this.

Anyone any ideas what it might be?

Cheers

Steve

Glad I just found this thread, mine started doing the exact same thing a few weeks back. I was a little worried that it may be something serious but the replies about the belt and fluid make complete sense with the weather we've had recently.
Rik

1 - 10 of 10 Posts