Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my GTS-T ive stripped out almost 170kgs
Things ive taken off are:
All air-con bits = 25kgs
interior = 50kgs - put in some ultra lightweight seats in that weigh only 5kgs each.

Stereo,speakers & all wiring
Changed Bonnet and boot for carbon
stripped all boot out of carpet, panels, spare wheel and jack
Plus loads more bits and bats that i didnt need.
But my question is....ive seen formula's on the internet that say for every 10kgs removed you gain (in theory) 1 bhp.
Now some say 0.1bhp others somthing different
Anyone any ideas?

·
Seasoned member
4,785 Posts
as above you won't gain any HP it will just be easier for the HP you have now to move the lighter shell, you should see slightly better acceleration.

·
Registered
40 Posts
bhp will not increase, exept if you decrease inertia, (rotating mass?) for example, a lighter flywheel, even then bhp will not be noticeable higher, it only will result in a better throttle response. it speaks for itself that your power output from your engine will not increase if you make the body where its put in is lighter, (imagine a dyno run, ya wouldn't get a better result with a racing seat if you get my point)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
no power to start with, thats not a real skyline, its a toy car
Lol its a real car alright, the pictures been done with a photoshop effect called 'tilt shift'

Errr your incrase in bhp will be a big fat zero matey.

But your power to weight ratio will be better.
Yes i understand that its not gained any real physical bhp but the power to weight ratio is better.......but how much more bhp would have been needed to gain the same ratio now the weights gone.....thats what i meant.

·
hippy
7,682 Posts
Lol its a real car alright, the pictures been done with a photoshop effect called 'tilt shift'

Yes i understand that its not gained any real physical bhp but the power to weight ratio is better.......but how much more bhp would have been needed to gain the same ratio now the weights gone.....thats what i meant.
to work all this out properly you should have weighed the car stock then worked out power to weight,then you would be able to work back and find out how much extra power would have been needed to have the same power to weight

·
Registered
254 Posts

-170kg, will probably give u the same effect as adding ~40-50bhp on your car...

plus, while gaining 40 "REAL" hp will make your car faster, it will not make it corner better, as will losing 170kg

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
agrees with mr arm..

while adding power is all very nice. loosing weight gives the same end result (a faster car) plus your breaking and handling and fuel consumption are also improved.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
What seats are those? 5KG there light
They will be more than 5Kg's. The crafty seat manufacturers only quote the shell weight, and also often only the lightest of the batch (composite lay ups can vary greatly in weight).

By the time they are covered in padding and fabric they are usually 2.5-3kg's heavier.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Yeah as said mate, it's your power to weight ratio that'll increase. As an example though...

Stock GTS-T curb weight is around 1320kg with stock power being 250bhp (i don't know your bhp bud).

250 (bhp) divided by 1.320 (tonnes) = 189.39 (bhp per tonne)

Yours after some weight shedding...

250 (bhp) divided by 1.150 (tonnes) = 217.39 (bhp per tonne)

So you've increased you power to weight ratio by 28bhp. If you know your bhp, put that in instead of the 250 then you'll see that power to weight ratio rise :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Yeah as said mate, it's your power to weight ratio that'll increase. As an example though...

Stock GTS-T curb weight is around 1320kg with stock power being 250bhp (i don't know your bhp bud).

250 (bhp) divided by 1.320 (tonnes) = 189.39 (bhp per tonne)

Yours after some weight shedding...

250 (bhp) divided by 1.150 (tonnes) = 217.39 (bhp per tonne)

So you've increased you power to weight ratio by 28bhp. If you know your bhp, put that in instead of the 250 then you'll see that power to weight ratio rise :)
Ok so my bhp as on my rolling road print out is 341.9bhp or 322.9bhp WCF
Thats before some other mods e.g
New coil packs, iridium 0.8's, decat, high flow front pipe with separate wategate dump pipe, plus some more bits
So if we go on low side say 350 BHP
350 (bhp) divided by 1.150 (tonnes) = 304.34 (bhp per tonne)
So i've increased my power to weight ratio by 114.95 bhp
Cant wait to get the new turbo, manifold, 555cc Jecs and remap done:cool:
[/IMG]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts