Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
hwoarang
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Installed my Carbon bonnet the other day and found out that the strut bar will not let the bonnet close. Has anyone else had this problem and is there a solution to it without me having to remove the strut.

Secondly the metal hook at the front of the bonnet is not long enough to fully catch the latch which shuts the bonnet down. Can I move the latch up a centimeter or two so that the bonnet shuts?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Sounds like a poorly designed bonnet..can't see how you could get around that problem, sorry. Unless of course you want to cut a slot out of the bonnet, which could look kind of nice actually, very unique as well!

Aitch

·
Premium Member
23,136 Posts
Thats a complete bummer...
I'm afraid you're wrong, Rob R33 is a complete bummer :D

Back on track........not a perfect solution I know, but have you thought about cutting into the bonnet and then masking the hole with a carbon fiber vent?

·
hwoarang
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right,

Just come back from looking at the underneath of the bonnet and it seems that there is a 2 inch ridge with rubber dampers closing directly onto the strut bar. If I file/cut this ridge away I should have a further 2 inches clearance which should just be enough.

Any ideas on the latch?

·
Premium Member
23,136 Posts
The Latch, without photos I can picture in my mind what you mean :sorry:

How about bonnet pins? I quite like the look of them actually.

·
hwoarang
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok General. The first picture is the "thingy" on the underside of the bonnet and the second picture is the latch. The "thingy" is not long enough to allow the latch to fully catch the bonnet in the close position.

Any ideas.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
23,136 Posts
If you know someone who's handy with welding, that should be an easy job. Either weld 4 small sections of metal rod to extend the 'loops', or get someone to fabricate and rivet in place a small piece of aluminium sheet to enable you to raise the catch mechanism by a couple of cm.

·
Premium Member
23,136 Posts
P.S

Cheers for the pics ;)

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Loosen off the latch bolts a bit and there should be a bit of adjustment. Move the latch right up and see if thats any better. Other than that you could redrill the latch bolt holes and move it further up.

·
look its a skyline!
2,524 Posts
i had to fettle the bonnet around the latch when i fitted mine, never moved it and it shut ok,
my bonnet rubbed on the strut brace very slightly (greddy brace), you could fettle it around it by cutting the supports a little

1 - 11 of 11 Posts