Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Earlier today I performed an oil change on the GTR. As I unbolted the sump plug I didn't notice a problem, cleaned it up and put it to one side. Did the rest of it like oil filter etc. Last thing to put back on the car was the sump plug. Screwed it in with my fingers with the brand new Copper washer slotted onto the plug. The copper washer touches the side of the sump and the plug just keeps turning in my fingers not getting any tighter. Began to unscrew the sump plug again and it slid straight out of the drain hole. The threads on the bolt are find but inside them were the threads from the drain hole. Has this happened to anyone else? The only two things I can think to do is get someone to weld up the existing hole with the sump off the car and tap a new hole or buy a new/second hand sump. Any recommendations? P.S. I'm told can only go the welding option if it's alloy, anyone know if it is or not?

·
Banned
8,850 Posts
You can get a Helicoil insert done on it for far less grief. Its a simple job if you have the Helicoil set.

N

·
0 Posts
OR ya can use wallpaper adesive , jesus that stuff held a guy on the wing on a plane . Sump plug should be NO probs!

·
Banned
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You really have to remove the engine to get the sump off? OMG. How do you ensure there is no Swarf in the sump still though after using the helicoil?

E

·
0 Posts
Helicoil is your best option i think but with the sump being alloy any swarf wont get picked up by the magnet on the sump plug or any other magnet you try & collect it on wich is a bit of a bugger.

Do you know what a helicoil is?

·
Banned
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a basic idea. It's the coil thing I was talking about above that my mate Steve mentioned. I'm thinking the only way I can ensure there is no swarf left in it is to flush out the oil system but with what? Don't want to do it with oil really as doing it with fresh oil will be a bloody expensive and old oil would not be a brilliant plan I feel. Water I reckon must be out of the question so any other sugestions?

E

·
0 Posts
I dont see why you couldn`t just flush it out with your old oil. Keep straining it & pouring it in again untill it comes through clear. Hell you might have to do it a few times but its a definate plan. just dont fire up the engine untill you`re 100%. There really shouldn`t be much swarf anyway as all you`ll be doing is tapping a hole thats already there.

helicoils

·
Banned
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the thought with the link eddie but it doesn't work mate sorry :( Yeah I suppose I'll just have to keep flushing it through with the old oil when I do the job.

·
Banned
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
very true there mate. Didn't think about flushing it through with cheapo oil and then filling with the premo stuff. You aint refered to as an oracle for nothing. lol

·
Banned
5,715 Posts
Mate,I understand your concern about getting swarf in your oil,but if you say a thread(helicoil)came out with your sumpplug,you have no problem,as you dont need to cut a new thread.Helicoils are marginally tapered,so get tighter as they go in.You have dragged out the old one.Chuck it away,new helicoil comes with a break off fitting tang which shears when the torque is correct.A full kit(borrow from hire shop)has a cleaning tap and insertion tool,easy to use.When refitting the sumpplug,not too tight..this is what knackers helicoils..it stretches them.Good luck,I learnt summat all these years on jet engines..they are covered in helicoils..and with oil thin as water,rotors spinning at 36,000rpm,bearing race speeds topping 1million rpm,they are fine!!

·
Banned
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
lol nice to know thanks rice boy. lol

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Probly missed the boat here, but am I the only one who has heard of Flushing Oil ? Its used for flushing the engine (well dah!), and cleans away any black tar deposits as well as other crap.

·
Banned
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah but that is stuff you put IN your oil before you drain it. Not usually reccomended for turbo engines I've been told recently and not much good to me if there's swarf in the oil that's in the engine already as I can't start the engine with swarf inside it. Flushing oil has to circulate the engine with the existing engine oil.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Hmmm never did that when I had a turbo diesel - always drained the old oil first. Mind you had to get rid of that when the turbo started whistling :(

1 - 20 of 23 Posts