Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Noob until taught otherwise :D
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

The sunroof on my R33 coupe is getting pretty ragged and I'm looking at getting it replaced. I checked at work (I do work experience at the local Nissan dealership/garage) and they can order it in, but it would cost a fair bit ($800ish). I went to look at Pick-a-part (like a scrap yard) and they have two sunroofs off other Nissan models which look like they would fit, one off a Primera and one off an Avenir, I was just wondering if anyone knew if they are interchangeable?

The have the same outer diameter, but do they have the same internal connectors and can they run on the same motor and etc?

Thanks guys!

·
Everybody knows that the bird is the word
9,198 Posts
$800?! Ouch
My sunroof is going to be changed sooner than later (most of the underside of the glass frame has rusted :( ), the price of a new one is really discouraging!

I'm surprised those 2 are the same size! Maybe Nissan used a generic shaped piece of glass across a few models ...?
However, the "behind the scenes" parts may be different to the other models due to things like the roof shape, length and width. I think your best bet is take some measurements/pics from your current sunroof and compare them to one at Pick-a-Part

Pick-a-Part is probably the best invention ever :D

·
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I go into work next I'll have them print out an exploded view of the sunroofs from the Skyline, Primera, and Avenir and inspect them for part numbers.

If they are the same I'll definitely go buy one from Pick-A-Part, if not I'll see what is the same (as I really only need the surround, everything else is in good condition, but the glass is attached to it and etc), and see if I can just disconnect the glass and surround from the assembly and attach the new glass to the old assembly.

Either way I'll update this when I know! Might make getting sunroofs cheaper for some people!

·
Everybody knows that the bird is the word
9,198 Posts
When I go into work next I'll have them print out an exploded view of the sunroofs from the Skyline, Primera, and Avenir and inspect them for part numbers.
Even better idea! It's 100% lazier because you don't even need to get off your ass to do it :bigthumb:

·
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry for the late reply guys!

I asked the parts guy at work for the part numbers on the sunroofs, and he said that they were different and I only managed to get a print out of the R33 sunroof diagram (he was busy), but he said that the diagrams for the Avenir were idenical (apart from the numbers).

I'll hopefully go and grab the sunroof from Pick-a-part soonish and trial fit, it's only 6 screws that I can tell so shouldn't be too hard.

Will put up pics if it fits :)

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
My mate has a 1994 Honda Prelude and has replaced his glass part of the sunroof with a carbon pannel for weight reduction/styling. Has anyone ever cme across one of these for the skyline?

·
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey guys, thought I'd follow up on this.

Today I replaced my sunroof and can now answer my own question.

It's not a direct fit for the frame, but the glass is a direct replacement. I took out the whole frame to compare them and the frame themselves are the same, but the mounting points are different so they aren't interchangeable. I think the sedan mounting points are a bit more spread out.

Although if you do need to replace the glass alone, there is 6 bolts (3 per side) that you can reach by taking off two covers. You don't HAVE to pull off the headlining, just open up the sliding cover, and undo the plastic screw on either side (it might be hard to get to without the headliner off but I don't know) and pop off the plastic cover and presto! There they are.

:dogpile:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys, thought I'd follow up on this.

Today I replaced my sunroof and can now answer my own question.

It's not a direct fit for the frame, but the glass is a direct replacement. I took out the whole frame to compare them and the frame themselves are the same, but the mounting points are different so they aren't interchangeable. I think the sedan mounting points are a bit more spread out.

Although if you do need to replace the glass alone, there is 6 bolts (3 per side) that you can reach by taking off two covers. You don't HAVE to pull off the headlining, just open up the sliding cover, and undo the plastic screw on either side (it might be hard to get to without the headliner off but I don't know) and pop off the plastic cover and presto! There they are.

:dogpile:
So are you saying that you could swap just the glass into the different frame? I believe the Bluebird/Altima U13 glass will swap too. Mine on my R33 is rusted and missing the weatherstrip/ moulding.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts