Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i have been a part of this forum for a few months now and i have been really shocked by the hp numbers that i see most people on here making. I mean my daily driver is a honda civic and i am making [email protected] When i get my skyline tuned i am expecting it to make somewhere around 600whp. i dont know if i just like a lot of power or is it really that hard to get power out of the rb motor? Mind you i am not talking down about the rb series at all becasue when it comes to power the honda motor will definetly not be able to keep up. i was just really expecting to see some crazy numbers. maybe where you guys are its different but i know here in the US we like a lot of hp. Guess our egos are just to big(not a good thing). am i over estimating the power that i think my rb will make or do most people go for daily driving reliability and not all out power???? like i said earlier....this is not meant to talk down on anyone. i am just really surprised. anyway.....this forum has been and will continue to be a big help to me when it comes to doing anything to my skyline. thanks to everyone that has given me any type of advice. its been very appreciated.

·
Alloy Junkie
2,499 Posts
Well i guess what they say is right, 'everything is bigger and better in america'

Its all realitive. It rains a lot here. We dont all want HUGE power. ETC ETC.....

·
hippy
7,682 Posts
stuff is cheaper in america
although ive bought stuff from over there real cheap with the exchange rate we've had reently,i think my best was 2.6 dollars to the pound.all small stuff though no huge turbos

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thats what i thought. i was not trying to be rude. just was curious. i thought of the rain thing after i wrote it. our gas is around 2.90US per gallon for premium which is only 93 octane. i am not sure what that converts to in your money. i understand the daily driver thing. thats why i mentioned my civic which is only a 1.8liter 4 cylinder and i was able to make that much power. i just really had thought it was easy to make power on a skyline. like a lot of people in the US say....its an over rated car. people here just want it becasue it wasnt made here. i guess they were right in a way. i mean dont get me wrong, i love the car and its fun to drive but i really expected a lot more. and no everything is not bigger and better here. if it were up to me i would rather live in japan so i could really build a car the way that i want.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
stuff is cheaper in america
although ive bought stuff from over there real cheap with the exchange rate we've had reently,i think my best was 2.6 dollars to the pound.all small stuff though no huge turbos
the partss here are far from cheaper. remember that we have to order everything from japan or from europe. they dont really make anything here for the skyline. its not like i can walk to a nissan dealer and ask for a replecement part. then you have to factor in the wait time for everything to get to me. it becomes a real headache but its definetly been worth the wait for everything that i have ordered.

·
Alloy Junkie
2,499 Posts
It is easy to make power on a skyline provided you have deep pockets.
Anything about 450bhp and your gona need forged internals etc to sustain running high boost.
If you want reliable big power for everyday use consider and Rb30 bottom end, even on stock pistons they can run 600+ all day....

·
hippy
7,682 Posts
generaly tuning parts are cheaper,its down to sales,there is no way the uk could compete for the best prices the way the usa can,we buy in lots of performance parts from the usa becuae of the price difference,most of it is v8 bits but weve saved big on all the jap aprts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
generaly tuning parts are cheaper,its down to sales,there is no way the uk could compete for the best prices the way the usa can,we buy in lots of performance parts from the usa becuae of the price difference,most of it is v8 bits but weve saved big on all the jap aprts
dont even get me started on v8 parts here. for the price you can build a v8 here you can only buy a stock used jap motor. prices here are really starting to get jacked up lately. i guess some parts could be cheaper to get from us. never really sourced performance partss from the uk. i have only looked at japan and australia.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is easy to make power on a skyline provided you have deep pockets.
Anything about 450bhp and your gona need forged internals etc to sustain running high boost.
If you want reliable big power for everyday use consider and Rb30 bottom end, even on stock pistons they can run 600+ all day....
so far i have installed wiseco 87mm pistons and eagle rods. i think that they should be good for over 600hp. i also used a cometic head gasket and arp head studs. didnt really cost me that much. i think i only spent 2k US to rebuild the motor and that includes all gaskets, oil pump, water pump, greddy timing belt and machine labor. what saved me money is the fact that i pulled the motor and reuilt it myself. i pretty sure that saved me over 2k US or more. overall with everything including the bolt ons there is like 4k in the motor and ecu

·
hippy
7,682 Posts
there you go,2k$ is 1K £ ,you couldnt get anywhere near a rebuild (or even the parts list)for that over here,an oil pump costs the equivalent of 600$ give or take a few $

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
i bought everything through ebay....i guess thats why it was so cheap. then like i said. i did all the work myself. i looked at good pumps and they were going to cost like 600 here also. i went with all factory nissan pumps

·
hippy
7,682 Posts
doyou run yours off 93 octane? the mad yank whos garage i use says you can buy high octane fuel at certain stations over there

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah you can but it runs upwards or $6 US per gallon for 100 octane (the cheapest) and $16 per gallon for the good stuff(C-16)...and yes. i run it on 93 octane. is that a problem??????

·
Yeah boyeeeeeeeee
6,604 Posts
That's it - rm2 is the average of RON and MON then; (RON + MON)/2

I remember being shocked at what I thought was utter rubbish I fed my hire car barge with last time I was in the states, thinking it was RON number - I wasn't suprised that the check engine light came on!

I was a bit worried giving it back, but they had it down as a fault anyway. Cheers for nearly two weeks of worry, Mr Hire Car Place! :disappointed:

·
Registered
6 Posts
it all depends on what you want from your car really and how much money you have to spend. Some people want monster spec cars, but others would rather go for something not as fast and to use as a daily driver.

Plus, you are only looking at the HP figures, which in my opinion is not worth the paper it is written on, some people have taken a different approach to tuning and opted for the response and torque route rather than the balls out HP.

By the sounds of your previous car, you used it for drag racing and thats about it, and it seems you want to go the same route for your skyline, that is fair enough, but alot of people from the uk choose to have an all rounder so they can experience track and drag events with great success in both areas.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I am sorry I dont agree with the americans all wanting big numbers. Yes my car is decently tuned, around the ballpark of 550. I did not build it to drag race, I spent quite a few buck on the chassy and suspension. I like for my car to handle on the corners, plus she is decent off the line. Bottom line, to each his own. Yes some of the cars on here are as you say underpowered, but I guarantee they turn more heads than a civic.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts