Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I have recently started working for a company called Genuine Imports in Kingston Surrey, normally they import and retail cars from Japan but recently due to a lot of people asking have also started doing SVA work. We can now handle the whole process from customs clearance right through to SVA prep and taking the car for SVA test and registration. Also if you are looking to get your own car in Japan they have a man living there who is a member of most large auctions and has been in the trade for 25 years or so.

The rates are reasonable compared to larger firms. If anyone has any questions or wants anything done etc please let me know in PM and I will give numbers etc.

Thanks.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We only charge £15.00 per hour labour, a normal conversion (fog lamp and speedo change to MPH plus delimit) is around £200 plus VAT but may be bit more if you want flush fit fog lamps etc. Also some late model Skylines with digital display are a bit more.

As for taking the vehicle for the test the charge is about five hrs labour.

N

·
0 Posts
what if the car fails the esva, then what , is the onus on you , or are you another lot that says your speedo is broken , we dident do it honest ....
wat about tyres ?
aftermarket steering wheels ?
lots of stuff , do u suck it up or say fcuk u , we have your car pay up ????

been there before , not trying 2 put you down
regards

ps do a full list , of the costs

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Those comments are fair, we have only done few so far but the way I would do it is assess the vehicle before I took it in so I can let owner know before they commit what the car needs such as tyres if they are not correct speed rated and after market steering wheels etc.

As for faliures we cannot guarantee a pass every time with testers failing on sily items like stereo control knobs having sharp edges. What I will do is provide the owner with the failure sheet so they can see what the car failed on if the fault is something we should have foreseen all you pay for is retest, the time for taking for retest is free. If however the fault is unforeseen I will charge the labour but only 2.5 hours not five.

As for price list I havent got a full one as of yet as we have only done small numbers but I will get one sorted in next few days.

This is not the main income for the business but we only started doing this after hearing some stories about over charging etc. We are only a small firm and anyone whose car goes for SVA etc will deal directly with me not a different person every time.

N

·
0 Posts
good on ya
i would list pickin up car , from dock etc
prep etc , i do not belive people want the 2 quid fog lights that are easy 2 fit , so i sugest u price for bumper mount " flush fit "
failures , i know on the silly stuff , this is where you should be prepared
the last lot i used wired the chip fer the speedo up wrong , and blew it , was not our fault honest ......
cost me a lot just for that , you try getting a speedo !!
they had the car for 8 weeks , and where a complete shambles, of a company .
My last one i did My self, and went remarkably smooth , apart from silly faults , and a aftermarket steering wheel , which i know now, how to get round , the test centre was not happy with thsi , but it passed , they could not fail it in the end . laws are laws , they are not the law .

ps this took me a fair time , but cost me just some parts , and my time , i was allways curtious 2 the testers and so they may have on not given me a bit of leeway

Regards

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
At the mo we take 5-6 cars of our own for SVA and I reckon we can handle doing maybe another 5 or 6 a month as we are limited with staff numbers. If the idea takes off I can always get more staff to help I guess. As for testers yeah you are right a nice greeting and such goes a long way. I have a good working relationship with the staff at Mitcham and they all seem very reasonable people.

There are points on every imported car that are obvious failures such as the front lights on FTO' etc. I am more than happy to help out anyone that has bought a car and is having problems getting it through the importing and SVA process whether they use us or not as sometimes a simple idea from someone that's done it before can save a lot of time and money.

If anyone has questions plz PM me and I can give you my number.

N

·
0 Posts
well done , nice one m8
do you have a price for a flush fit fog light , and speedo chip

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The fog lamp costs me about 20 quid and taking into account labour to fit plus couple of quid for the switch so I guess all up it should be about £55 plus vat installed in the bumper.

As for the speedo chips I get them at a trade price of £50 plus VAT and say £45 to fit it so £95 plus VAT should cover it. I know some companies that sell the chip alone for about £85.00 so I reckon our prices are fair.

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
NiteskyR said:

do you have a price for a flush fit fog light
The Nissan one to replace the RHS fog light same as the GTR is part number 26580-AA125 - any dealer in the UK should be able to get this for you - looks so much neater IMO.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts