Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Skyline Smiler :D
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all
right im having a 1998 r34 GTT imported and its due in dec 31st / jan 1st.
now this means i wont be having the sva done until early jan 2008. the question is...

How do they work out the 10 year point of the car? will i still need an SVA?

in the date box on the auction sheet it says 10 / 7 not a clue.

only thing i can find on this is that if it is 10 years old or more no SVA required.
any help cheers people.

·
BigBoy
216 Posts
If its over 10 years from date of reg, u get an SVA done (costs like £100 ish), if under 10 years, u get EVSA, costs alot more than £100 ! :) :) :D

·
Super Moderator
9,426 Posts
if a vehicle is 10yrs old or over you only need to get an MOT :) no SVA etc.

if under 10yrs an SVA

if under 3yrs an ESVA (this one I am not 100% sure of)

·
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes all this i know but the question i need answering is how do they determain when the 10 year point is? as i said mine is a 98 model and will be SVA'd mot'ed whatever in jan 2008. are they dead on the 10 year point IE month etc ive read a few places that imported cars just get the reg put on Jan of the year they enter the uk,

·
Backyard Mechanic
1,656 Posts
As far as I know, may have changed?

Under 10 years needs ESVA

Over 10 years but built before 1st Jan 1997 is normal MOT

Over 10 years but built after 1st Jan 1997 is SVA (so this rule came in to effect beggining of this year, meaning every car younger than 10 years need ESVA)

Getting the R34 GTT through will mean ESVA, model report, approved alarm/immobiliser and totally standard car, can be a bastard to pass, they are jobsworths.

·
Belgium/Netherlands Area Rep
2,060 Posts
jap papers have the date of first registration and from its pretty easy to see if your car is under or over 10 years old innit ?
if there are no jap papers and you declare it being manufactured in 1998 they will register it as 01/01/1998 first day of vehicle registration

·
big fat pig
267 Posts
Here it says the SVA is now obsolete:
http://www.svauk.co.uk/faqs.php

SVA F.A.Q's

What do SVA and ESVA mean and what's the difference?
SVA = Single Vehicle Approval - This test is now obsolete and has been replaced by the ESVA test (below). ESVA = Enhanced Single Vehicle Approval
For cars built after January 1997. These cars also need a model report.

How do I know if my car requires an ESVA test?
ESVA is for cars built after January 1997.
These cars also require a model report.

How much does an ESVA test cost?
Usually between £500 & £600 plus VAT.

Do you test American Imports etc?
Absolutely, we test vehicles from all over the world.

Can I do the work myself?
No, unfortunately we cannot comply vehicles that have been prepared outside of our premises.

Do you do MOT testing, servicing, maintenance and repairs?
Yes, if your vehicle is already booked in for ESVA testing.

Looks like everything goes through ESVA if its under 10. Over 10 and just an MOT?

I hear R34 GTR's are very hard to get through also. Doesn't it need a special cat added to it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Here it says the SVA is now obsolete:
http://www.svauk.co.uk/faqs.php

SVA F.A.Q's

What do SVA and ESVA mean and what's the difference?
SVA = Single Vehicle Approval - This test is now obsolete and has been replaced by the ESVA test (below). ESVA = Enhanced Single Vehicle Approval
For cars built after January 1997. These cars also need a model report.

How do I know if my car requires an ESVA test?
ESVA is for cars built after January 1997.
These cars also require a model report.

How much does an ESVA test cost?
Usually between £500 & £600 plus VAT.

Do you test American Imports etc?
Absolutely, we test vehicles from all over the world.

Can I do the work myself?
No, unfortunately we cannot comply vehicles that have been prepared outside of our premises.

Do you do MOT testing, servicing, maintenance and repairs?
Yes, if your vehicle is already booked in for ESVA testing.

Looks like everything goes through ESVA if its under 10. Over 10 and just an MOT?

I hear R34 GTR's are very hard to get through also. Doesn't it need a special cat added to it.
Can't be right that 10 year old cars built after 1997 needing SVA as my Stagea was a March 1997 and only needed an MOT to get registered.

Also auction sheet reading 10/7 means 1998 July.

·
Backyard Mechanic
1,656 Posts
Basically the 10 year rule is finished it's simply from the beginning of this year:

Any car built before Jan 1997 gets through with just MOT

Any car built after Jan 1997 needs the full blown ESVA

Or have I got it wrong?

·
Chairman Stagea Owners Club
359 Posts
Basically the 10 year rule is finished it's simply from the beginning of this year:

Any car built before Jan 1997 gets through with just MOT

Any car built after Jan 1997 needs the full blown ESVA

Or have I got it wrong?
The ten year rule still applies and its done by month so a car manufactured in jan 1st or 31st 1998 will have to wait untill feb 1st 2008 . Then only a normal MOT is needed.

SVA applied to 1996 cars so is out of date as they are all 10 years old now.

Now cars not 10 years old need esva which means they have to comply with a model report. These are readily availably if one has been compiled on the model in question.

If there is not a model report you need a one off emissions test which is ££££££s and not worth it unless the cars at least £15K . The fee is charged pass or fail..

·
Registered
326 Posts
10/ 7 may be the date it was auctioned as the japanese year system is Heisei (IIRC)
and H6 is 1994 H7 is 1995 H8 is 1996 H9 1997 H10 1998 and so on
hope this helps

·
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
haha theres the part i was after, if there is no papers with the car stateing the date it was first registered then it defaults to the 1st jan that year. so hopefully that bt of paper will go walkies :D and mine will be defaulted to jan1st 1998 and no SVA EVSA whaich ever it is so £500 saved!
just have to wait and see me thinks
well cheers for the input people
:D

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
The month/Year will be on the Japanese De-registration document -which you will recieve along with you shipping docs & tax docs you will need these to register the car. 99% certain you will have a month on there. Be nice if its a 01/98 - but unfortunate if its a 12/98 model. Normally the exporter/imported will know.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
ESVA's are a complete pain. You will have to strip the car back to factory standard so it looks like its just come off the production line. The tyres have to be 'E' marked and on the factory rims, if there are any mods at all even gear knobs they have to be swapped back to standard, so if its got a body kit you're fooked. Most cars from japan come with some modifications so you will probably have to travel around the country buying/borrowing standard parts. When i brought mine in i had to change the seats, suspension (Thanks again Lisa) wheels, tyres, pedals, BOV, airfilter, exhaust, bonnet lip and wipers. Then you have to convert the speedo, fit a fog light and get it looking very presentable (this helps alot). As you can see it can cost alot of money and if it needs a model report, which yours probably will, you will have to rent one.

·
Backyard Mechanic
1,656 Posts
haha theres the part i was after, if there is no papers with the car stateing the date it was first registered then it defaults to the 1st jan that year. so hopefully that bt of paper will go walkies :D and mine will be defaulted to jan1st 1998 and no SVA EVSA whaich ever it is so £500 saved!
just have to wait and see me thinks
well cheers for the input people
:D
Yeah D-Reg document is required for ESVA so no getting around the month or losing the document.

·
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ahh bums then, just wondered where this "defaulted to 1st jan of the year" came from cos as i said if i can get that i save my self £500ish. my car should be fine only got a cat back exhaust and air filter that aint standard, garage at the port have got cars passed with more mods they say as theyve got lots of OE parts sitting about for the more common imported cars. used to it i presume with them being at the docks. anyways i shall wait and see plrnty of time to sort it as ive just found out me car may be here a month early!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts