Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody got one of these fitted, got a chance at getting one at a good price.
mike...........

·
Super Moderator
8,976 Posts
Looks OK, but i always baulk at paying silly money for these intakes that make very little difference (cue Blitz defending Injen)
If you look at any intake its purpose is to get as much cold filtered air into the engine as necessary.

Now the std system is the correct diameter for the throttle body (it makes no difference having a bigger intake diameter unless you have a larger throttle body, it won't get any more air in, and the plenum design will also have an effect)

But the std intake does have several noise dampening chamberers that don't help smooth airflow, so removing those is of slight benefit, the more important point is getting colder air in as this is denser and so helps power as the ECU will add slightly more fuel and in simple terms more air + more fuel = more power.

Now fitting a nice shiney intake pipe with a big cone filter looks good but unless it has very good heat shielding around the filter you will probably be sucking more hot air than the std system and so loosing power because of it,
even the metal of the intake tube will have an impact buy picking up latent heat from the engine compartment, but its to a degree offset by the amount of cold air travelling through it when on the move.

Also the design of the filter has quite an impact, the area inside the filter will perform far better if it has a radius (like a trumpet) edge, its a small thing but makes a big impact so this is also something to consider when buying an aftermarket cone filter.

After fitting a simple short intake made from alloy with a cone filter i noticed no difference apart form the extra noise, and even after a good run, on quickly opening the bonnet the alloy tube was still pretty hot, i have since fitted a long intake that takes the airflow from the bumper intake area, and found there is a significant difference in teams of heat in the tube, i will be logging the IAT once i get the software, another option is to lag the whole intake with a heat shielding/reflective material to further prevent heat soak, which i may add at a later date and record the result.

Just a few things to consider when buying often over priced intake kits.

·
Super Moderator
8,976 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts