Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
User of V-power
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Peeps,

This little issue started yesterday, on my drive to work (about 20ish miles) I was half way there and the temp was on 1/4 of the way up, I have an aftermarket gauge as well, and that was reading 60 Deg, now on the way home it took almost the whole 20 miles for it to come up to half way and again this morning it diddent quite make it to half....

normally it will be between 75-85 on my aftermarket gauge, but now it is struggling to get to 60???

anyone able to help on this one?? I have checked the rad, both pipes hot, water is full, warm air coming through the heater......

Thermostat stuck open???

any help appreciated

Thanks
Dazzler

·
Member No 48
1,192 Posts
Sounds like the thermostat is shagged, allowing water to constantly circulate. Get it fixed quick, or your fuel bills will rocket up as well.

·
User of V-power
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fuel bill will go up? why is this? This started yeaterday morning, havent noticed a change in consumption, fuel gauge seems to be dropping as normal, Idle is teh usual 650rpm ish when at around 55-60 deg

also what other damage can be done with the thermo always open??

Cheers
Dazzler

·
User of V-power
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok, just spoken to the garage, they are going to fix it on saturday under warrenty, gonna get my aircon idler looked at too to get that sorted,

thanks for the help peeps

Cheers
Dazzler

·
Registered
366 Posts
Fuel bill will go up? why is this?
because the car thinks its still cold (ie not up to its normal operation temp) it still thinks is in cold start mode. more fuel is injected during the cold start period (its a cheap way of upping your fueling. like the ebay resistors you see)

·
User of V-power
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lol got to love them resistors! hopefully the fuel will not go up too much for the remainder of the week..... will be taking it real easy!

might even take a day off work and get it in earlier if need's be....

Cheers Peeps!
Dazzler

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Definitely the thermostat. Resist the urge to drive it like it's warm after the usual time you think it takes to warm up. The gauges are not lying.

PS is that sig text really a conversation you had? There is no hope is there!

·
Registered
366 Posts
i shouldnt worry about it too much. (what grade oil are you running?)
my thermostat opens at 62*c rather than 76.5*c

·
User of V-power
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Definitely the thermostat. Resist the urge to drive it like it's warm after the usual time you think it takes to warm up. The gauges are not lying.

PS is that sig text really a conversation you had? There is no hope is there!
Yep that convo really happend... some random guy in a kev'd up fiesta...

as for the gauge's I have an aftermarket temp gauge, got an oil temp gauge too but i need to get my sandwich plate in to wire up the sender...

also does anyone know at what temp the engine goes from cold start to normal running??

Cheers
Dazzler

·
User of V-power
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yea sorry forgot that bit.... :alco:

any ideas on the point where it switch's over?

Cheers
Dazzler

·
Registered
164 Posts
Yep that convo really happend... some random guy in a kev'd up fiesta...
My Fiesta-owning brethren are often poor ambassadors! I can't really expect much more, it's a hot hatch from the 90s, they're the types it was aimed at!

I hope a new thermostat solves your problems, the vast majority of car owners wouldn't have noticed such a change in behaviour. I'd say 70% of the people I talk to (about such things) wait till their water is somewhere near the middle of the gauge before going flat out, when my oil temp is only just climbing past 100F by the time the thermostat's opened..it takes a good 3-4 minutes of cruising at 60mph in 5th for it to get to the magic 180F+ when I used any boost.

·
User of V-power
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well, I have had the thermostate replaced today, but now im really confused, the temp gauge in the dash is reading the normal middle..... but my after market gauge is reading 45deg.... occasionally it will wip up to 50, sender gone is my theory there! if i earth it the gauge goes all the way up to 160...

unless anyone else has a theory on this? could i still have a problem? where is the engine temp sender?

Cheers
Dazzler

1 - 14 of 14 Posts