Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Likes bananas
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.....

Hopefully in 24 hours I'll be the proud owner of a facelift R33 GTS-T and it's completely standard.

I've loved skylines ever since my friend Si took me out in his R31 GTS-R which is still the the quickest car I've ever driven (including a late Diablo VT) although the 3 litre Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo that I did the ECU on comes a very close second for velocity-induced eye distrotion (VIED). Si's car is featured at www.skylinegts.co.uk and I wrote that spiel a LOOOOONG time ago...

I hail from a world of PRV engines, which I know inside out and upside down. But it is time to learn something else so the skyline re-entered the horizon. (clever!). And much as I think the alpine is an awesomely well engineered car, the interior is nasty and the electrics are appalling. Give me some Jap reliability please!

There seems to be a staggering love for brand-names in skyline ownership!!! I'd like to do things "my way" although I'm not in the habit of jumping in without as much info as I can gather first.... so simple question first:

What's the boost limit on a standard ECU? How does it limit? Violently or progressively?

Has anyone actually heard of a stock ceramic/nylon turbo disintegrating? Or just that "it can happen"?

Is there a workshop manual available for the engine?

Anyway, hello!

Martin

·
Always sideways
4,231 Posts
Hi Martin, welcome the site.

I'm sure if you do a search there was somebody advertising workshop manuals.

I haven't heard of a turbo disintegrating, but that doesn't mean it's never happened, I suppose if you run the boost too high for the standard turbo it's a very real possibility.

The boost on the standard car is around 0.4 and then approximately 0.7 bar. Without playing around with the internals or an uprated turbo, the highest recommended boost I've read about is 0.85 bar, although mine will be mapped to 0.8 bar (just to be on the safe side)

I'm not the most technically gifted person on here, I just read my way through a lot of posts, past and present, so by no means take my words as gospel. But hopefully it's given you a few clues at least! :)

·
Likes bananas
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers guys, good stuff. Well, I got it!!!! Those eagle-eyed cherries among you might have spotted this car on ebay (didn't want to say anything last night because I wanted to "encourage" him to end early, which he did). Here're some piccies from today

http://www.delorean.co.uk/DSCN2491.JPG
http://www.delorean.co.uk/DSCN2495.JPG

And seeing as I was driving back from Wales to Kent, I thought I'd give Si a ring and veer his way. His old girl is looking fairly sorry for itself, until I saw the work that was going on underneath the front which is shiny :)

http://www.delorean.co.uk/DSCN2492.JPG
http://www.delorean.co.uk/DSCN2493.JPG
http://www.delorean.co.uk/DSCN2494.JPG

Okay, next question - anyone got a boggo standard original turbo (or a cheap uprated one!) for the RB25DET ? I bought the car with a boost problem which sadly didn't turn out to be a stuck wastegate - the turbo is, well, buggered basically. I'd be happy to run it as standard for now and learn to drive the thing!

Cheers

Martin

·
Likes bananas
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm in east Kent and we have a workshop in west sussex near Hastings. Going down there shortly to start pulling off the turbo and try and work out what's going on! You in Kent too?

·
Likes bananas
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sheesh, I was having a blonde moment then!!! I'm in WEST kent, nr Tunbridge Wells.

Update: Turbo is off. Wastegate is non-adjustable so the ecu controlled bleed valve will get replaced with a mechanical one so I can experiment.... but I need a turbo first, that one is completely cactus. The shaft is solid and you can see the exhaust blades sitting on the bonk - it really went with a bang. The moral: let the engine idle down for a minute after you stop!!!

·
Likes bananas
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers Ray, I've got the itch something rotten. My business parter has an Esprit GT3 and I've got the GTA in at the moment and that thing is FAST. The skyline is in the workshop with the engine in bits 24 hours after I bought it. There's something really depressing about that..... even though I bought it with my eyes open!

If you want to arrange a get-together at out workshop, you'd be more than welcome. We're just across the border in East Sussex, down the B2089 from Cripps Corner to Rye which is (apparently) on the Bikers Guide as one of the top ten roads in the country, and it's certainly a lot of fun, and there're plenty of country pubs around with good carparks.

BTW the owner of the GTA also has an R32 GTR

Martin

·
South East Area Rep
337 Posts
It's a small world especially in kent i live not a million miles from rye and yep that road is fun martin.

I know someone who was selling a spec 1 turbo with the condition you take the engine with it!
It's ok cos i had the gearbox and all the running gear and various other bits its got 33k on it if your interested pm me il give you his no and a rough guide price that he quoted me.

And welcome.

steve

·
Likes bananas
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Howdoo all, checking in with some fabuloso news. Got a new turbo! Well, a good secondhand unit, and for someone not used to the power of a skyline, that's plenty for now. I do my own work so the labour's free. Anyway I clocked Andy at SP autos and thought "that area code rings a bell" so set about popping down there to say hello, and wonder of wonders, a donor turbo was there heving just been lifted out of a customer's car.... who was there and asked for £75 for it.... I think he has teeth marks up to his elbow now!

The foglight problem is still driving me spastic - seeing as I caused the problem in the first place! No brakelights either as I jerry-rigged up some illumination to drive home tonight. The idle also keeps wanting to stall and having removed all the pipework for the turbo, I know the joins are all fine. Goes fine too suggesting it might be the IACV. Stalls on AC, and did it when I picked it up. Anyway, life'd be boring if everyhting went to plan.....

Martin

1 - 12 of 12 Posts