Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a tyre blow out on the motorway driving home from London. Knew what it was straight away, pulled over to the hard shoulder and thought "it's a good thing I took out AA cover just a few weeks back". Called up the AA, reported the problem, explaining that I have no spare as I now have 18" 5 stud wheels not 17" 4 studs and a can of tyre weld wasn't going to do anything in this situation... only to then be told "It's meant to have a spare tyre, we won't cover you." WTF? Why did I bother taking out cover???

Got recovered pretty quickly and thankfully managed to source another tyre (even though it cost an arm and a leg) at 10pm at night, using a mobile fitting service. I've got a crappy LingLong now, but at least I got something, otherwise I would have paid even more just to get home.

Next time I might neglect to mention that the spare isn't there or carry the old 4 stud spare and tell them "yes my spare is ready for you to fit" just for a laugh. Has anyone else come across this? Do all recovery companies try and worm their way out of everything?

·
Registered
592 Posts
we had a blow out in the wife's car a few weeks ago ten mins from home & a few mins from steve at ACM. as the wife has a year old vauxhall which you don't get a spare with. called the RAC they came out with a spare wheel to go on the car. it was a 17inch wheel so was't to bad as she has 18's on. & just told us to take the car to kwik fit get a new tyre & the RAC will pick up there wheel at some point.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With new cars I don't think they care - they tend to stick on universal 5 stud spares for new cars. I was told it was because the car came with a spare and I no longer had it. Why that would make any difference to a modern car that has no spare I don't know but it only makes the AA sound more ridiculous!

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
Are you still allowed to change your tyres on motorway these days ?

Or is just most people who have flat tyres on hard shoulder don't have a damn clue what a spare is

"BOOM that just happened"

1 - 4 of 4 Posts