Skyline Owners Forum banner
41 - 60 of 112 Posts

· Registered
180 Posts
Alright thanks. As for HICAS removal, would using the Tomei HICAS Eliminator electrical box and a lock out bar or something similar be possible to get the weight savings AND keep my steering normal?

· Premium Member
12,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I wouldn't know yet since I've not personally seen the tomei kit or it's instructions. Waiting on a couple of members to show me the installation instructions.

I wouldn't have thought it'd work though, as the tomei method leaves the HICAS rack, motor and sensors in place. With a lock out bar fitted it'd all be gone and the HICAS control unit would notice.

I'd need to see one to prove for certain, but when I do I'll attempt to make one that would work with lock out bars...

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

· Registered
180 Posts
Oh ok. Well from my understanding, the electronics box on the Tomei kit tricks the ECU into thinking everything is alright, so doesn't it make sense that it would recognize the system as normal at all times, even if it is missing? Sorry, I'm a noob at skyline's

· Premium Member
12,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 · (Edited)
It doesn't trick it into thinking everything's still there, it tricks it into thinking it's still actually able to turn the rear wheels. So I think removing it all would still cause the same problem. I'd have to see one to confirm though.

· Registered
1,775 Posts
It doesn't trick it into thinking everything's still there, it tricks it into thinking it's still actually able to turn the rear wheels. So I think removing it all would still cause the same problem. I'd have to see one to confirm though.

I got the HICAS delete bars installed in the end, so have the Tomei kit still in it's box.

I dunno if installing the Tomei black box will fix the power steering issue now that the rack arms and HICAS motor are off.

The steering feel isn't that heavy anyway, just a little noticeable.

I might just flog the Tomei kit.

· Premium Member
12,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
The steering feel isn't that heavy anyway, just a little noticeable.
Yeah, there's still some assistance in failsafe mode, it's not shut off altogether.

Would you mind taking a picture of the wiring instructions for the tomei kit before you sell it on?

· Premium Member
12,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Do you have to pay for the ability to monitor the HICAS system with datascan? IIRC datascan only does a few little things unless you pay for the full version? I couldn't even get datascan to work on my car, even though conzult and ecutalk worked spot on. Perhaps I just had a bad version, so I'll have another look.

· Registered
22 Posts
can anyone help me? sometimes when i start my car up,especially when engine is still warm the hicas comes on and stays on. When car has been left overnite its not a problem. Has anybody got any ideas whats going on,thanks

· Registered
449 Posts
Do you have to pay for the ability to monitor the HICAS system with datascan? IIRC datascan only does a few little things unless you pay for the full version? I couldn't even get datascan to work on my car, even though conzult and ecutalk worked spot on. Perhaps I just had a bad version, so I'll have another look.

Yeah you have to pay to register it for the full funcions, I got the software when I bought the cable through blazt

· Registered
3 Posts
Great informative thread on HICAS! Never knew there was variable power steering..

I'm currently chasing down "12 - HICAS motor power supply not present" on my '96 R33, anyone have an idea of what to look at? I've checked fuses, relays, under car connections etc.

Also, what software are people using for consult? I've got an ecutalk cable but NDS/ecutalk won't work with HICAS, I've heard rumours that conzult-sx works but no definite confirmations, and it's a good chunk of money for the full version to find out.

Cheers

41 - 60 of 112 Posts