Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
dawnseeker
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys . .

The registration numbers (rear) on many skylines , are mounted on a frame are angled slightly upwards. My pal just recieved a £30 fine for poor 'plate' visibility. His mounting is the same as mine. I thought it was a trivial thing but has anybody else been 'done/warned' for this ?

·
Premium Member
23,136 Posts
Yes, I got a warning (after I talked myself out of a fine) for having a front plate that was not a 90 degrees to the ground.

·
dawnseeker
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah but GB, the rear one is in the usual position but slightly angled upwards?
WOuld I have to remove that 'funky' frame and use double sided tape ? I dont want to drill into the bodywork.

·
Premium Member
23,136 Posts
It's the first time I have ever heard of someone getting their collar felt about the angle of the rear plate. I would be sorely tempted to challenge this one all the way.

·
Space Filler
3,218 Posts
You'd think it'd be more visible, since it's pointing up toward whomever is viewing it from a higher position. I could see the cops point if he was 3 inches tall.

·
dawnseeker
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
:rofl: maybe thats how tall he was !!!!

I could see his point. Having just been out to inspect mine, I have noticed that the whole number (ie from the top row) is not completely visible.

In such a case, I would ve thought a warning would suffice like with you GB. No need for a £30 fine !! Surely if it were a serious problem, the car would have trouble getting through an MOT.

Oh well - its small matter anyway. Apparently they were doing a massive road tax evasion stop . . . saw a skyline and thought lets do 'im for something. LOL odd thing is the copper saw the car from front, and the plate is on the rear. Bloomin fuzz . . really can p*** me off man :uy: :mad: !!!!. . .Rant over !

Thanks for the link dunx ! Sending it to my pal now !

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
Don't a lot of cars use a sticker on there front bumper for a reg plate? MX5 Supra's etc.
Now I know they are not perpendicular to the ground !

Tell your friend to question it with the super at the station, it seems very petty!
A freind of mine has such a stick on plate on his mx5 with no probs. :dogpile:

·
dawnseeker
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Don't a lot of cars use a sticker on there front bumper for a reg plate? MX5 Supra's etc.
Now I know they are not perpendicular to the ground !

Tell your friend to question it with the super at the station, it seems very petty!
It seems they were just out to pick on someone. They pulled him over for 45 minutes !! He owns a R34 GT-T . .about 13k worth of car . .respectful bloke nearing mid 30s . .professional blah blah . . what im basically trying to say is that he's not a tw*t !

He was given a lot of attitude from the fuzz. A lot of stereotypical questions. Thats not right man. He was asked if he drifts/whether he attends track days/ how much bhp the car had/ to which he declined practically everything. As its his only car, he wont track it! Fuzz started arguing with him about registration date into the country , previous history, previous plates . . even read him his rights 'ie anything you say can be taken down as evidence against you' !!! Come on man . . for a no plate ?? FFS !!!!!

Cant catch murderers/terrorists but they'll throw the book at a motorist !!!! the law sucks sometimes !

Sorry dudes - but this is getting on my wick. I sold my MKIV supra after 4 years, not because i had enough of it, but because of the hassle and fuzz attention. I pray it wont be the same with the skyline.

·
Any Danger!!!
1,486 Posts
Its ridiculous, they will pull you for anything these days, I would contest it if that happened to me

·
Registered
733 Posts
Mate of mine's missus ia warden in a sheltered housing place for the elderly, recently had a load of yobs outside causing nuisance, trouble and criminal damage, even suspected one to be 'dealing' out the back of his car, so, good citizen and all that called the law, 999...............got put on hold, then told 'NOT A PRIORITY'!!!!????
23 hours later a Community Support office turns up......WTF!!!???
Obviously 'dealing' is less criminal than having a dodgy number plate then!!
All alledged of course officers! :)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Thats abit harsh,nothin better to do with there time.:Uzi:
i make reg plates where i work and customers do come in sayin the garda said the numbers on our plates are 3mm too small.:confused: i dont know ,i can just imagin them on the side of the road with a micrometer checkin plates
:rofl:

·
Registered
733 Posts
If it makes you feel better - when I was spoken to... I had a riot van full of them (3 in front and some in the back)
:rofl: so was it yes officer of course officer......

AND HOW DID THEY CATCH YOU WHEN THEY WERE IN A RIOT VAN?????? :disappointed:

·
Registered
305 Posts
:rofl: so was it yes officer of course officer......

AND HOW DID THEY CATCH YOU WHEN THEY WERE IN A RIOT VAN?????? :disappointed:
I wasnt even on the road - was parked up talking to a friend in a carpark... first thing they said after asking if it was my car.... (I was standing but it - car shut not even running) was "how many times have I spoken to you about your plate?" - I replied none... carried on... picking faults with the plate which arent faults as its all correct - only thing he stood firm on was that it wasnt straight/flat

... apparently if he sees me with the car again hes going to give me a £60 fine for it... and told me to change it.. I said yeah I'll check it out... he insisted that it was illegal... I just said yeah ok and then they went after telling me that I dont do myself any favours parking there...

.. where as I thought I had... it was well lit.... out of the path of pissed up human traffic.... and in a safe place... as other car parks have had spells of pricks smashing windows for the hell of it....

·
Skyline Smiler :D
185 Posts
hang on ive been looking at all the SVA rules etc for when i get my import and dosnt this SVA test make the car UK LEGAL as the standard spec?
couldnt this fella argue that someones wrong? (like the man who sued god)
either a) the police are wrong as the SVA has deemed it legal
or b) the SVA is wrong for deeming it legal when its not?
that way some has to pay for there mistake not his

this of course is as long as the cars standard still ie bodykit etc

·
dawnseeker
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hang on ive been looking at all the SVA rules etc for when i get my import and dosnt this SVA test make the car UK LEGAL as the standard spec?
couldnt this fella argue that someones wrong? (like the man who sued god)
either a) the police are wrong as the SVA has deemed it legal
or b) the SVA is wrong for deeming it legal when its not?
that way some has to pay for there mistake not his

this of course is as long as the cars standard still ie bodykit etc
Thats a bloomin good point !! I didnt think of that !!!!!!:cheers:

If it makes you feel better - when I was spoken to... I had a riot van full of them (3 in front and some in the back)
Dunx thats super-crap man . .but check this . .there were 30 of the buggers in this roadside check !!!! Jeez . . sorry to say man, i cant stand the plod. If i see them in front somewher i usuallyturn off early. Notthat I've got anythgint to hide, but i cant be done with the hassle. Also starting ot carry docs with me too to save unecessary time at the pig farm ..sorry station :D

Its true what you guys say tho, it doesnt really take much for them to hassle you these days. . . .butt***** !! Ok OK - i've sweared and cursed enough today . .better go confession . . . . with a bottle of octane boost and a cd of psy-trance !!!!!!!!!! DUnx thanks again for the DVLA link. The dude phoned me back and found it real helpful. :cheers: :cheers:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts