Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Thinks he can Drift
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got up this morning inspite of a cold to take my TFs driveshaft to be machined down... last job on the car for it's MoT

get to the petrol station to get some money out "insufficient funds in your account"

what the heck?! I've not seen that in years...

i know there is about £700 in there plus my over draft of £250

go to bank in town

im £247.43 over drawn and i've been using my bank card for the past week in birmingham

interesting as i've been at home in bed for the past few days ill and i've not been to brummy land in years

bank can do nothing

i have no money

great, just great!!!!!!! does anyone know if there is anything i can do :s I've been offered an emergency lone, but i dont want more debt!

·
Administrator
25,962 Posts
Bollocks mate but the bank can do something however you do need to report it to the police that ur card has been cloned

·
No longer a rep :( but still here :)
6,432 Posts
First things first, tell the police, secondly go to see citizens advice see what they say, then go into your bank and demand an appiontment ith the manager and relay what the cab said.

Gutted for you mate

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
My brother had his card cloned last year. He got a phone call saying " hello sir, have you reently been to Quala Lumpur?"
luckily it was obvious as he had one payment to the local petrol station and then a big payment coming out in Quala Lumpur. He gitvutall back in the end but had to take an emergency loan out to get by while the bank sorted it out.

You should be insured for loss or left so the bank should do their job and track it down. Good luck with it buddy.

·
Registered
928 Posts
why can the bank do nothing? I thought they had to prove you'd been negligent (e.g written the PIN on the back of the card, told your mate the number etc) before they can refuse.

If you're in bed sick (with witnesses) and the account is used in birmingham, at least you can prove it wasnt you. They have to PROVE negligence or fraud to not pay you.. not just say "we cant do that". I had a mate that dealt with a similar problem and stood ground and got his cash back, and I'm sure I've read something recently..

Go back and ask to see the manager, and then ask him for a complaint form for the management and details on the banking ombudsman. See if that gets things moving

Just had a search - have a look on here mate - http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2012/may/04/banks-pin-card-fraud - seems a lot of people are hitting the same sh*t with banks.

The key bit is this -

The Financial Ombudsman Service, where lots of these cases end up, relies on the payment services directive, which came into force in November 2009.

It says that if someone is a victim of fraud, the bank must refund them immediately – unless it has good grounds to suspect that the cardholder has been negligent or acted fraudulently.

SO go back in with that info and see what Mr Manager says.

Kev

Kev

·
Thinks he can Drift
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bollocks mate but the bank can do something however you do need to report it to the police that ur card has been cloned
I've been to the police and gotten a crime referance number... im not sure what will happen now, I'll have to go back to the bank

First things first, tell the police, secondly go to see citizens advice see what they say, then go into your bank and demand an appiontment ith the manager and relay what the cab said.

Gutted for you mate
didn't think of CAB but i've been to the police at least

My brother had his card cloned last year. He got a phone call saying " hello sir, have you reently been to Quala Lumpur?"
luckily it was obvious as he had one payment to the local petrol station and then a big payment coming out in Quala Lumpur. He gitvutall back in the end but had to take an emergency loan out to get by while the bank sorted it out.

You should be insured for loss or left so the bank should do their job and track it down. Good luck with it buddy.
I think the problem is im not insured... i've got no protection on my account as far as identity fraud etc is concerned :(

why can the bank do nothing? I thought they had to prove you'd been negligent (e.g written the PIN on the back of the card, told your mate the number etc) before they can refuse.

If you're in bed sick (with witnesses) and the account is used in birmingham, at least you can prove it wasnt you. They have to PROVE negligence or fraud to not pay you.. not just say "we cant do that". I had a mate that dealt with a similar problem and stood ground and got his cash back, and I'm sure I've read something recently..

Go back and ask to see the manager, and then ask him for a complaint form for the management and details on the banking ombudsman. See if that gets things moving

Just had a search - have a look on here mate - http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2012/may/04/banks-pin-card-fraud - seems a lot of people are hitting the same sh*t with banks.

The key bit is this -

The Financial Ombudsman Service, where lots of these cases end up, relies on the payment services directive, which came into force in November 2009.

It says that if someone is a victim of fraud, the bank must refund them immediately – unless it has good grounds to suspect that the cardholder has been negligent or acted fraudulently.

SO go back in with that info and see what Mr Manager says.

Kev

Kev
hmm thanks for this info kev, i'll start looking into it... im not sure if i will get anywhere though as I've got no insurance to claim off, effectivly i think the bank is takeing the stance of "if you've been stolen from then so have we" and are looking to the police... who said they will feed the info to the local forces but that the chances of recovering the money are very small... i did enjoy how they pointed out that it wouldn't be a priority as it was such a "small" amount!!!

small amount!!! i've had 2 months wages stolen! thats all the cash i have plus my savings gone! it might be sod all to a police officer on mid 20sK a year+ but for me on a student nurse bursary it's a flipping fortune!

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
The bank is insured mate not you. They have to be covered for fraud. It's all underwritten by the government I think.

·
Registered
761 Posts
As above mate, you don't need to have insurance, the bank need to sort this out and refund you if you've been the victim of fraud. Whoever at the bank it is who's told you it's nothing to do with them needs a slap

·
Registered
662 Posts
Iv been in your shoes a few times mate BUT if YOU have not used the money the bank HAS to pay it Back how ever it's been taken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk!!!!

·
Registered
928 Posts
hmm thanks for this info kev, i'll start looking into it... im not sure if i will get anywhere though as I've got no insurance to claim off, effectivly i think the bank is takeing the stance of "if you've been stolen from then so have we" and are looking to the police... who said they will feed the info to the local forces but that the chances of recovering the money are very small... i did enjoy how they pointed out that it wouldn't be a priority as it was such a "small" amount!!!

small amount!!! i've had 2 months wages stolen! thats all the cash i have plus my savings gone! it might be sod all to a police officer on mid 20sK a year+ but for me on a student nurse bursary it's a flipping fortune!
You shouldnt need insurance mate - the rules apparently say that they HAVE to pay you back unless they have grounds to prove fraud or negligence.

Go back and tell them that you're off to the ombudsman as they're breaking the 2009 Payment Services directive..

if you quote legal sh*t to them, they often think again. They're used to people not giving a thought to it and backing down.

Kev

·
Registered
788 Posts
as above the banks will 'TELL' you theres nothing you can do, you have to be very insistent and firm. It happened to a friend, bank said no, he shouted ombudsman, lawyers etc etc, bank paid.

·
Car work on a budget, a very SMALL budget :(
3,080 Posts
Happened to me as well, someone took money out in London 10 minutes after I did from Sainsburys in Chester.

Bank asked how I can prove it was not me, I asked them how to go 300 miles in 10 minutes and if they knew to tell me...

That was obvious fraud, they still ask dumb questions though...

·
Car work on a budget, a very SMALL budget :(
3,080 Posts
as above the banks will 'TELL' you theres nothing you can do, you have to be very insistent and firm. It happened to a friend, bank said no, he shouted ombudsman, lawyers etc etc, bank paid.
+1, not your fault, bank wont want to pay out but its not your problem, its theirs.

Threaten them (politely) with everything under the sun and they will back down.

While you are there ask them for an interest free overdraft increase to cover your losses until they put the money back in your account.

Realistically they cant say no...

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
My old man and myself have been in this situation

Lucky enough the bank spotted it

I was actually using my card at the same time it was being used in Malasia. They actually managed to work out and track back to where and when the card had been cloned.

Turns out it was a shell garage. Dirty thieving scum.

·
On the other side of the world in a 5.4ltr V8!
1,191 Posts
Same here.

I got done last year. What pointed it out to the bank was a payment in america within a few hours of me making a payment for fuel in Oz. The bank rang me and i said i would call them back via the normal bank number ( im a suspicious get! Lol ). They had no issue withthat and i just had to confirm the last payment i made and the process was done. I then checked my bank daily and had a further 6 payments made on the card. Each time i rang the bank and logged the charge. It was all sorted inside 7 days.
This was on a normal debit card and not a credit card.

I would be ringing the banks fraud department rather than going to the branch.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Agreed about the fraud department.. i work for a bank and you get monkeys on front desks. If you really want them to sit up and pay attention go to the FSA website, go to the FSA register and get the FSA's contact details for the person at your bank. That way, you get to very high senior management through a direct line, no messing. That person wont deal with you personally as an end to end process, but they will take the full details and escalate it to where it needs to go, and fast.

If it doesnt, ring them again, email them, keep calling and believe me, it will be dealt with quickly. I've had compaints turned round in two days instead of 8 weeks doing this, and now i dont use any other process to log a complaint, i get to the top, first :)

·
Registered
898 Posts
Some banks are ..... well i was watching watchdog in bed the other night and some bloke got his card done.. they used it to buy lots of tax for cars.

When the bloke went in to the bank they would not refund him as he had used the same place too shop before... emmm the dvla. lol

Ive had £2000 taken out of mine. Went into bank they sorted it within a day, got all my money back.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
The banks themself are partly to blame
That magnetic strip on the back is not secure they had the option to encrypt it and they chose not too.

You could go to any Maplins and buy a card reader download some free software of the Internet and all your details and pin number stored on that strip are available for all to see!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts