Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, is there any way of telling whether the thermostat is opening properly on a GTS-T without taking it out and checking in hot water? I would like to check it out of the car but one of the bolts nearest the back of the car on the thermostat housing seems just about impossible to get off! Scraped my arms up pretty good trying!! The top rad hose gets hot the bottom one that connects to the housing doesnt seem to be quite so hot, but at a guess this is only checking the temp in and out of the rad :confused: If not can anyone suggest how to go about getting this damn bolt off!

·
crazymofo1979
122 Posts
With Difficulty! In the end i managed to do it on mine with a couple of extension bars on the ratchet which have the knuckles that give a little movement in them. there was enough movement in all the bars to just do it, plus from memory i think there was something else there i could move just for a little more room. In any case it is do-able but perseverance is needed.

·
crazymofo1979
122 Posts
and for what it costs for a new thermostat, if you think you have problem with it, and you do get the housing apart, you may as well replace it any way to be sure it is ok. £20-something quid i think i paid for mine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cheers for that, you're right perseverance is what it needed. In case anyone else needs to know the best way to get at it as i didnt find much info when i tried searching, remove the battery drop the alternator down by taking the top bolt off and temp removing the belt then push it down still attatched by the bolt on the bottom. This will give you just enough room to get a socket and ratchet in there. Job dun :smoker:

Turns out it was working ok but a Nismo low temp thermostat should help keep it nice and cool on the track now I have it off.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts