Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every day for the last 7 years, I have been taking the same route home from work... straight down the A23. Every day, I go through the same speed cameras at just under 40MPH, with no problems at all.

Last Monday I went through one, and it flashed at me... bugger, I must have been over 40MPH. The next day, I totally forgot, and the same thing happend.

Bare in mind I work nightshifts, so the roads are totally clear at this time, as it is about 3:30am. The next day, I go through again, and I check, and am definately doing under 40MPH.. but it still goes off. The best thing is, I decide that the cameras are broken, so the next day, I get flashed 2 more times....

Anyway, the short story is, I am a twat, the speed limit is atcually 30MPH, and and this morning, I got 5 letters from the Police asking who the driver was at these times, as they were intending to prosecute.

We all know that this is 15 points, and anything over 12points is a ban.

What do you guys think will happen. I am planning to go to court, explain that I am about as stupid as they come, but at the end of the day, I have been driving for 12 years, never been caught speeding before, and have been driving the same route for seven years without a problem, so they MUST have changed something on these cameras to make them suddlenly take a liking to my car.

Do you guys think I will get banned? If I get points on my licence, I doubt if I will be able to insure the GTR, so it will have to go.

Any advise???

:(

·
Member No 48
1,192 Posts
Fortunately, these days insurance companys don't seem to be bothered about convictions for speeding......they know that these camera's are a money making scheme. If you get banned however, it might be a different story. All I can say is, best of luck with the court case. Your a bit like that rally driver who was caught seven times in one morning! How did that one pan out?

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
I must admit they seemed remarkably indifferent to my 6 points (D'oh.... a bit of a homer moment) charging me a bonus £300 for the mods declared and 50% power gain

·
Administrator
4,233 Posts
Thats harsh, I'm gutted for you. How regular are the sign posts to notify you of the speed limit?? I guess as your driving a night it makes these more difficult to see. You may be able to argue that the limit is not sign posted effectively, and also try to find out if the speed limit has been lowered recently.?.

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
no luck !

·
Super Moderator
9,426 Posts
go to court, please stupidity, say you thought that it was a 40mph zone....take a letter from your boss saying you need your licence or you will lose your job.....good luck...I know what its like..

·
Banned
3,280 Posts
martin said:
You may be able to argue that the limit is not sign posted effectively
Don't forget that councils are not legally bound to sign post 30mph zones as long as it's a built up area and is street lit with lights at a certain maximum distance apart (can't rmember what the distance is). Basically as it would say in the highway code.
It's a fecker I know but you ain't gonna win on that one. :(

·
On The Far Side...
203 Posts
I agree, go to court, be honest and say you weren't aware of the real speed limit. (in which case, it might not be a good idea to say you've been driving down that same road for several years...)

Good luck

·
Banned
5,443 Posts
Ask em if their signage confirms to BS873 (The Traffic Signs Regulations & General Directions Act). Check with the local council, they sould be either Class 1 or Diamond grade reflective (council specify which), then check which grade of reflectivness (is that a word) of the signage. May be a life line for you here as you were driving at night.

·
milk monitor
1,181 Posts
on a different subject my mate was telling me that apparently there are students who are willing to say they were driving a car that was speeding for a fee, as they womt be able to afford to buy a car for three years and so dont mind getting the points, students eh! :)

·
Banned
5,443 Posts
This act also specifies that there should be no face fixing (i.e rivets) showing through the face of the sign, as it can confuse the driver, if there are rivet heads etc showing through the face.

Ill get me annorak now. :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
if a ban is a possiblity and it could impact your job..

post your case up on the fightback forums here http://www.pepipoo.com and see what advice you get.

There is still confusion in the law with regards to unsigned s172 and it's legality as a confession.

The forums are very helpful and if a ban/job loss is a possibility then any route to avoid that is worthwhile.

HTH

Iain

·
Sil80 Driver
2,313 Posts
Right, first of all read this

http://www.pepipoo.com/FightBack/messages/38.html

Stand your ground, if they have a photo of your car and you can't be indentified that is not conclusive proof. Them asking you to confess to a crime is coercion and is illegal. You are innocent until proven guilty.

Good luck. I hope you win, this sort of thing really hacks me off.

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
they wont care about the speeding ticket then your right

·
Banned
5,443 Posts
Its the only option to get off the speeding if we were being honest. :D

Sorry Bas Boy.

If your going to go down the channels of poor signage, etc etc it may be an idea to drive the road at night and video it, so you can point out the lack of speed warining signs etc etc.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Isaac Hunt said:
Okay either that or you can go in there with a machine gun and kill the lot of em. (thats for the benefit of Mr Toes) :D:D:D
Well, if you need me to help, let me know ;) :aka47:

·
Banned
1,743 Posts
I'm in too. Anything to give the money grabbing theives a ****ing over!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts