Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im thinking of buy this car. its here in the USA. any oppinions yes or no?
original add:

Year/Make/Model: 1989 Nissan Skyline GTR

Price: $18000 obo

Mileage: ~66000km
-------------

THIS IS A STATE TITLED CAR REGISTERED IN MICHIGAN USING THE JDM VIN!!!!!!!!

I am selling my 1989 Nissan Skyline GTR (R32), the car runs great and is a blast to drive. It is a real RHD GTR from Japan, I bought it from a guy in NC, and have had it for a few months now. I am selling it because I just don't have time to work on it anymore. The car runs great, and is stock aside from an M's intake kit with new filters, exhaust, Volk Evo4 Wheels, Hawk HPS Brake pads, Zeal Coilovers, and NGK Iridium IX Spark Plugs. I recently changed most of the engine fluids, and the fuel filter, as well as a few of the hoses. I also replaced the brake pads, shift knob (Nismo), shift boot, e brake boot, radio, and floor mats (Nismo) The car runs great, and I did a compression test that came back with 150's across all 6 cylinders. The car runs great and the interior is in pretty good shape. The paint is original, and not perfect. It has a bad spot on the front drivers side fender and a big chip on the wing, as well as some nicks and scratches on the drivers side door. The guy I bought the car from said that the engine was from a 94 V-Spec, but I can't confirm this. The buyer will also get a bunch of spare parts I have (Timing belt, water pump, hoses)

·
Seasoned Member
9,196 Posts
firstly ill say it seems a bit steep on price but i know how expensive it is for a skyline there so it might actually be a good deal, seems to be genuine in the add too, if you have the money then go for it.

also to any mods reading this like i did: its not a for sale ad its just a copy of the one he's looking at.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
firstly ill say it seems a bit steep on price but i know how expensive it is for a skyline there so it might actually be a good deal, seems to be genuine in the add too, if you have the money then go for it.

also to any mods reading this like i did: its not a for sale ad its just a copy of the one he's looking at.
Correct, this is a Copy of the add on another site that i am looking at. I took out the sellers information.

Its the cheapest GTR i can find. Any problems with it being the first year of the R32 GTR??? And thats Way low miles too for a 20 year old car.

·
Tyne/Wear/Tees Arse Rep/Gtr Shop Rep
11,412 Posts
the first gtr's had oil pump problems but if it has had a 94 engine that should be a problem

·
Super Moderator
9,426 Posts
if the engine is in situ you will have to take the alternator off to see the number :)

It seems pretty straight...just check under the rear arches for signs of rust (there shouldnt hopefully be any)

good luck :)

·
The Cunning Linguist
13,826 Posts
Same again, seems steep to UK eyes, maybe one of our US members could add an opinion on value for money here.

Nice looking car though.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
if the engine is in situ you will have to take the alternator off to see the number :)

It seems pretty straight...just check under the rear arches for signs of rust (there shouldnt hopefully be any)

good luck :)
I have not seen the car in person yet. he did say there is alittle rust in the wheel well.
"I think their might be a little rust in the rear quarter behind the wheel well" what he said in an email.
Guess ill have to wait and see what the engine came out of, doubt he wants to pull the alternator just to check for me

·
Super Moderator
9,426 Posts
is there a garage near where the car is that you could take it for them to look at? here is the uk there is a national organisation called the RAC and the AA that will check a car over for you for a small fee....at least if your that worried it will give you peace of mnd.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
is there a garage near where the car is that you could take it for them to look at? here is the uk there is a national organisation called the RAC and the AA that will check a car over for you for a small fee....at least if your that worried it will give you peace of mnd.
Thats if the guy is willing to get it looked at for me. I am a certified master toyota technician so once i see the car in person i can decide for myself. Just hard being that its so far away.
Guess im manly looking for opinion like is this expensive for a 89, what kinda problems are there with 89s. Things like that.

·
Super Moderator
9,426 Posts
ah, you should be ok then.

its soo different for us here, we are kinda spoilt for choice really....different story for you there!

there arent many issues aside from the engine...just general wear and tear on a car of that age.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
ah, you should be ok then.

its soo different for us here, we are kinda spoilt for choice really....different story for you there!

there arent many issues aside from the engine...just general wear and tear on a car of that age.
ok cool thanks.
Ya we have almost none to chose from and most are going for $25,000 and up for a gtr. I figure if it only has 66km on it and its mostly stock its got to be in pretty good shape mechanicly.
what do you mean "there arent many issues aside from the engine..."? Im not very familure with the RB engine since we never got them over here.

·
Super Moderator
9,426 Posts
in the uk people tend to modify them a fair bit and they dont tend to last so long!

a good stage one tune and you will have a reliable engine that should last...or keep it fairly stock.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
in the uk people tend to modify them a fair bit and they dont tend to last so long!

a good stage one tune and you will have a reliable engine that should last...or keep it fairly stock.
Oh right, makes total sense. Ya this one besides air filters and exhaust sounds pretty stock. Just hope the engine didn't come out of a car that was beaten on.

·
Super Moderator
9,426 Posts
yeah, that would be the only problem. The block on a 32 is thought to be stronger than that of a 33. I have a 33 but with a 32 block as mine went porous.

go have a look at it and go with your gut instinct. if in doubt walk away. let us know how you get on :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yeah, that would be the only problem. The block on a 32 is thought to be stronger than that of a 33. I have a 33 but with a 32 block as mine went porous.

go have a look at it and go with your gut instinct. if in doubt walk away. let us know how you get on :)
Ok thanks again.
Ive bought so many cars in my life time i have a good instint. Vehicles talk to me when i sit and drive them, so ill know :cheers:
Ill definitly post up after i go to look at it if i get it or not

·
Skyline Addict
291 Posts
Hey lad seems like a good car.

As other members have said, seems a bit steep price wise to me but i know they are expensive over there.

Just give the back arches a good check for rust and lift up all the carpet in the boot and make sure the floor hasnt been repaired and that.

Good luck with the car if you get it

1 - 20 of 20 Posts