Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Jammy Git
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jeeez the price of them, way too dear for me, a swirl pot is designed to do a purpose not too look pretty....it would cost half that to do the exact same job:booty:

Cool but what's a swirl pot, and how do I get it in my sump?

·
Jammy Git
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
swirl pot is for fuel not oil,i fancy a baffled/enlarged capacity sump but hadnt found anything sensible,any idea of prices yet?
I know! That's why I was confused :hippy:

Although I think the big man was looking at my pretty picture (which was just an example of their stuff).

Price I think will be £340 deilvered to UK.

Group buy time?

To answer Dazbe - No! But I'm pretty sure the demise of my old engine was hastened by an extended track session on a windy circuit. So I vowed never to let a lack of oil cost me another engine.

My alternative was an oil accumulator but for a useful size this would come in at abot £300 and then there's the fitting which could be complicated - unlike a sump.

·
Seasoned Member
21,588 Posts
the idea of a swirl pot is to run as least amount of fuel as possible to keep yr car light, and the main fuel pump pumps it into a swirl pot which size is assessed by how you want to use it...in mine i use a 2 liter pot and run 1/4 of a tank of fuel, so when im drifting the fuel in the main tank is getting thrown from side to side and the fuel pick up wont be efficient enough to push fuel all the time, so it pumps it to a pot which has a pick up at the bottom and then pumped by another fuel pump and the fuel will always be pumped forward as its easier to keep 2 liters topped up...they are designed for race cars....

ive got a swirl pot in my 32 RSP did it.....far cheaper...:booty:

·
Jammy Git
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah but I don't want a swirl pot I want a baffled sump!! :rofl:

I should have used a different picture!

·
Seasoned Member
21,588 Posts
ok a baffled sump works in the same approach as i explained with the fuel, the baffles stop the oil from being thrown to one side so the pick up doesn't go dry and spin a bearing, RSP are starting to make them guys, mine will be the prototype so you may as well hang on and see how the RSP one turns out, Richard will make it exactly how it needs to be and as said far cheaper than RIPS....makes sense to me

·
Administrator
14,725 Posts
Personally i don't think baffled sumps are needed until 500+bhp and a seriously fast track car running on 888's.

In 3 years i've not even had a sign of any oil problems, even with all the track days i do.

Sounds like you had just a bit of bad luck bill.

·
New Zealand Area Rep
797 Posts
If anyone, i think ecozile would be the one to talk to about the RIPS parts as i cant imagine anyone else on SO.com from nz can afford their prices haha

·
Registered
272 Posts
http://ripsracing.com/products.html
is their stuff as good as it looks?
:drool:
yes Bill, their products are good - not that i have used them but had the chance of seeing their products in person. but does come with a price tag hard to swallow

If anyone, i think ecozile would be the one to talk to about the RIPS parts as i cant imagine anyone else on SO.com from nz can afford their prices haha
:banhim::aka47::aka47: :D

bigchief said:
a swirl pot is designed to do a purpose not too look pretty....
Spot on BC :)

i dont think i will pay that much for a swirl pot - only thing i will consider from RIPS is to do a RB30 if i decide to go that way

RIPS RB30 builds are a different story though - awesome built quality - have seen some dyno charts of their RB30 s - monster torque.

check this link
http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/113131-rips-rebuilds-borg.html

- he sent his R33 from UK to RIPS,NZ for full restore\build

·
Jammy Git
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
So I don't really need one.

And I'm paying over the odds.

Oh joy, another feather in my Skylines many feathered hat.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts