Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am very new here and still pretty new to the skyline and RB world! I have an R32 GTST with the RB20det and when I drive the car normally not pushing it, there is no ticking noise. But if I let it get into boost more and do even just one pull, the car will develop a ticking noise that gets louder with A. heat and B. more pulls. So I was wondering if anyone has had a similar issue and what it could possibly be?

I did an exhaust leak check and there is a slight bit of air that SEEMS to be coming out of the exhaust manifold/turbo gasket, but it was pretty minor so I don't THINK it's that. It just confuses me because the ticking only starts back up after a pull or two and then goes away after a day or so. It's consistent through all RPMs as well.

For the TLDR version: why does the ticking stop if I drive it normally and why does it start back up when I do any spirited driving with it?

Looking forward to hearing some thoughts, thank you guys!!:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would make sense given the heat generated under heavy load. Any leaks in gaskets or cracks would expand with the heat
Yeah that does actually make sense, Ill definitely take a close look at both the manifold and the gasket later. I watched some videos online of just random cars that have a manifold leak and it sounds extremely similar.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I made one of these a while back to listen for detonation .... AutoSpeed - DIY Detonation Detection - Part 2

It's handy for trying to locate any sound that only happens when driving - you can try the mic in different places around the engine bay to try and figure where the problem noise is coming from. Hang the wire out the window and under the hood and off you go.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts