Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought the car, it already had a HKS kevlar timing belt on it; apparently it hadn't been on long. Upon inspection yesterday, there is a very, very small slit in the belt. I hadn't noticed it before but it doesn't look like wear and tear, more like a scalpel cut not a rip.

I'm going to go for another kevlar timing belt and have it replaced; was thinking of going for a tomei kevlar belt for my rb26 as they come quite highly rated. Does anyone have any recommendations for brand/type?

Also, I'd rather a professional do the job for me; not really sure I need the pulleys/tensioners doing although an inspection would be nice. Any ideas how much labour this would cost? it was quite expensive on the scooby due to the placement of the timing belt but the timing belt cover on my skyline is already off atm so I would have thought it's just the time it takes to undo the tensioner, take off the old belt and then put on a new one. Finally, do you guys run the kevlar belts with a little slack on cold start so that they are the correct tension when warm?

·
Banned
1,205 Posts
but the timing belt cover on my skyline is already off atm so I would have thought it's just the time it takes to undo the tensioner, take off the old belt and then put on a new one. Finally, do you guys run the kevlar belts with a little slack on cold start so that they are the correct tension when warm?
A lot more to it than just that ^

For a start the crankshaft pulley needs to be removed lol
And of course the other belts that run of the crank pulley :hippy:
And possibly the IC crossover pipe depending on ya set up, and the rad depending on how much access he needs/what way they be taking the crank bolt out

There was/is a how to in the F&Q section
I would think ya be charged about 2 to 3 hours labour ( even if it don't always take that long ) but I can't say as its been many years since I've taken a car to a garage

Personally unless I was running 500+ BHP ill just stick to a OEM belt

Oops just seen ya a gtr guy, could be different as I'm a gtst guy

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The car is currently running at 450hp but that's only because I undertune it for safe road use. I've heard great things about the tomei Kevlar belt.

·
Super Moderator
9,036 Posts
As said there is no need for a Kevlar belt, it not BHP that puts strain on the cam belt its the valve train component's, if you where running extremely lumpy cams coupled with super strong valve springs then I would run Kevlar, but for anything else stock Nissan or Gates is fine.

·
East Ireland Area Rep
6,702 Posts
As said there is no need for a Kevlar belt, it not BHP that puts strain on the cam belt its the valve train component's, if you where running extremely lumpy cams coupled with super strong valve springs then I would run Kevlar, but for anything else stock Nissan or Gates is fine.
i think gates actually make the oem stuff for nissan ?

·
No longer a rep :( but still here :)
6,432 Posts
Ive just done the cam belt on mine and got a genuine nissan part. Im running a r33 gtr also, no need for fancy belts

·
Administrator
25,964 Posts
15 quid timing belt i fitted to my car and that stayed on it from 220 bhp up to 400bhp and several years of trackdays including nurburgring

fitted the cheap belts to customers gtrs runnng up to 700bhp

a timing belt is a timing belt no need for stupid idioticly overpriced garbage "fancy" belts

·
Belgian Fries
209 Posts
I'm with SPEEDR33PER, at the end of the day no company is going to make a product that could snap at relatively low loads. Same reason why our cars are like lego, you just bolt stuff on and it keeps on going :D

I personally bought the stock one.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is there any detriment to going for an uprated belt? I am Indeed running uprated cams and potentially quite high power if ever tuned for the track. the car is rated to quite high numbers but I've responsibly turned it down just for road safety, longevity and cost. I'm really quite ignorant when it comes to parts and have always taken a side line roll and focused on the software side (which is no surprise why I became a software engineer for a living).

I don't really mind spending the money on an uprated belt as I was under the impression that high horsepower/torque cars required something stronger. Just interesting to hear people suggesting they're garbage; I've had no problems with the HKS belt until inspecting just this weekend when I found the small cut. Probably came from running without the timing cover last month :(

·
Super Moderator
9,036 Posts
There is nothing wrong with uprated belts other than the silly money they charge for them, as I said you would need to be running some seriously lumpy cams and very strong valve springs to warrant the Kevlar belt, the one other thing with running some types of them, is that if you have anodised cam pulleys they can tend to wear them quickly.

·
Administrator
25,964 Posts
i seen a 700bhp single turbo supra fitted with a "badly" needed £300 quid timing belt due to the power and torque it had,in 2 years it had chewed through the £300 quid alloy adjustable pulleys and expensive lower pulley and destroyed the engine because as it chewed through the pulleys it chewed through the teeth as well.

it was like sandpaper on alloy,it was rebuilt with a cheap standard belt and still runs on it to this day 7 years later.

you do not need an expensive belt as the most pressure on a belt is on stat up and switch off when its the closed valves that stop the engine turning.

also a stupidly overpriced belt will be more noisy and annoy the hell out of you

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That sounds worrying indeed! So even above 700 they're using standard belts? Sounds like I should just go for a standard oem one.

Although, surely if nismo are selling an uprated belt, that would be indication that they are somewhat decent, no?

·
Administrator
25,964 Posts
i always fit a standard belt to any customers cars of mine and the supra was a perfect example of an aftermarket belt chewing through the alloy pulleys destroying the engine.

again doesnt matter if a company sells an uprated item,the oe item will have been tested beyond the limits to ensure it wont fail. a timing belt will break 99% of the time when you attempt to start it.

im positive there is a 1000bhp mr2 kicking about scotland with a standard belt fitted

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Alright well I think you've persuaded me that getting the OEM belt is the right choice. Looking on eBay, I'm seeing that I have to get this imported; any UK sources for obtaining OEM parts cheaper than the price+import costs?

Looking at the cost of import on top of the price and then the cost of the HKS, it's probably the reason why the car came with an uprated belt as it doesn't seem like such a waste of money if for £20 you can get a 'better' belt. 'better' being possible perception :)

·
Administrator
25,964 Posts
Where the hell are u looking that says you need to import a timing belt???????? Dingo sell them Andrew watts in Scotland sell them any half decent car spares shop can sell them.conceptual tuning sell them so again where the hell are u looking?

·
Administrator
25,964 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts