Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Backyard Mechanic
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I do finally get a replacement gearbox, I'd like to know how long it's going to take me to change it.

How long did it take you and have you got any tips?

Apparently losening the engine mounts and tipping it up gives better access to the bolts?

·
Seasoned Member
21,588 Posts
if you use ramps about 2 hours. its a bit awkward getting it in/out you have to twist the gearbox as it comes in/out. and you may have to release the engine mounts so you can tilt it back for more clearance.....:)

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
It looks like i will be having a go at changing my clutch at the weekend as well, so i will let you know how i get on if it helps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
me and a friend change mine it took just under 2hrs, drain oil first, crack starter off, remove gear stick from inside car makes things alot easier, undo prop bolts at the back slide prop out hopefully no oil now box is empty, (order rear and front crank seals before you strip box out from nissan mate may aswell do them whilst box is out they cost about 20 pound for the pair from nissan and take mins to fit.put gear box hoist under back of box, undo lower gearbox bolts then the awkwards ones at the top -just lower the hoist slighty the box drops enough to reach the one hard bolt at the top - wiggle box it should come out with gently persuding

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
What a pain in the ass that was! It looked as if every single bolt had never been touched so just getting the prop shaft of was a pain and the gearbox was a complete ***** to get out. I know what people are on about when they say the top started bolt is hard to get to now.
To be fair i did do this on my own with two jacks with the rear of the car on rams and the front on axle stands, It took a while to get the car in the air and the gearbox off ( around 2 hours ) but getting it back on was a piece of p*ss ( less than an hour inc getting the car back on the ground ). I`m sure if all the bolts came out without a fight it would have come off in half the time.

When i put the box back on i found it much easier to rest the gearbox on my chest, lift the engine end with my legs and the shaft end with my hands. The gearbox wasn`t as heavey as i thought it would be and putting it back on this way gives complete control when having to twist it when sliding it on.

·
Backyard Mechanic
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I started, spent about 3 hours so far and have got the starter motor, prop shaft, gear knob and stick out and most the main gearbox bolts losened or out, so another hour and she should be out :) Isn't that top bolt and starter motor a pig to remove!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts