Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
NEW TO ALL THINGS NISSAN
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

How important is the clip that's missing/snapped off the top of this head light ?? ..all the other clips are present..could I just fiberglass over the cracked section and hole and loose the clip...would it still sit correct with the other clips secured in place ??

Or would it be worth the extra hassle and time n effort in fabricating a clip back on as well ??

I have taken off my original Head-Light (really foggy and condensated bad) and have a non foggy/ non condensated one as a replacement...but it looks dull and is not in top shape (some of the rubber is coming away from the top edge and the lens has hundreds of tiny looking cracks all over it....

But I still have the one pictured above ^ The lens on this one is almost perfect and the only thing wrong is the huge crack/hole in the top where the clip has been snapped off in transit thanks to the seller wrapping it up poorly!
:attention:
As I say can I just fiberglass this area flat and loose the clip and it'll still sit perfectly or should I try and fabricate a clip as well ???

I've had offers to buy both spare ones but if I can use fix this broken one, I'd prefer to use it as aside from the damge on top..its in much better condition !? - Matin

·
NEW TO ALL THINGS NISSAN
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
STRONGEST GLUE

It's not critical, as you've seen they're only thin so can't take much weight. The rest of the mounts should still hold it fine.
Sweet! Well that's good news :dogpile: ...Do you know of a really good/STRONG Plastic to Plastic Glue that I can use to repair the cracks etc.. ?? - Martin.

·
NEW TO ALL THINGS NISSAN
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
EPOXY RESIN ?

I've heard from Facebook friends that EPOXY RESIN should do the trick..!? Can anyone suggest a good erm patch ? to cover the inch2 (square) hole with before I apply the resin ?? - Martin

·
Administrator
25,964 Posts
Since that is the actual upper mounting bracket it may be good to try and make a new bracket up if u can

·
NEW TO ALL THINGS NISSAN
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS ??

Since that is the actual upper mounting bracket it may be good to try and make a new bracket up if u can

This is whats left of the original clip, ..I could try n use some EPOXY to fix this also.. or I may try and make a make-shift Metal clip and then attach it after to the clip-less smooth repaired area..!?

What are your thoughts ?? - Martin

·
Administrator
25,964 Posts
Just use a bit of metal bent in to the shape and drill it onto the headlight

·
NEW TO ALL THINGS NISSAN
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DRILL IT ON ???

Just use a bit of metal bent in to the shape and drill it onto the headlight
When you say drill it into the headlight.. How do you mean exactly ?? I am quite confident I can bend a piece of semi-rigid metal into a replica clip, but was gonna use strong glue. ..I'am interested in how I would 'drill' it onto the surface !? - Martin.

·
Administrator
25,964 Posts
Well u get a bit of thin metal that u bend with your fingers drill a hole in one end so that you can bolt it down to the slam panel and then drill a smaller hole at the other end and useing a simple self tapping screw,screw it in to the headlight and then cover it up with silicon or similar so its watertight.
I'm unsure how else to explain it as it is that simple mate

·
Germany East/Central Nord Rhein Westfalen
3,039 Posts
Well u get a bit of thin metal that u bend with your fingers drill a hole in one end so that you can bolt it down to the slam panel and then drill a smaller hole at the other end and useing a simple self tapping screw,screw it in to the headlight and then cover it up with silicon or similar so its watertight.
I'm unsure how else to explain it as it is that simple mate
Straight and too the point as always. Lmao.

Use some plastic glue. Like you make models kits with. This stud melts the two surface that mate together and bonds them pretty well. Or take the glass of one and put it on the other??

·
NEW TO ALL THINGS NISSAN
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've been told from a reliable source that the clip isn't actually vital as its only there really to help position the light. So I will not bother making a makeshift clip after all..

Thanks for the info regarding the drilling though..it makes sense :) I just like to get as much info on things before I attempt them :)

I'll just use EPOXY RESIN to fix the cracks and also cover over the hole along with some tape/stamp-sized square of 2mm thick plastic and then give it several more coats of EPOXY to be on the safe-side.

Once done I'll add more pics..

Am just on the hunt for some good EPOXY RESIN by a reliable make...am thinking I'll go with 'LOCTITE' unless anyone can recommend a better brand/product that'll do the job !? - Martin.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts