Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Jammy Git
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a Tom Tom One v4 for Christmas, lucky me.

A couple of weeks ago I downloaded the latest updates etc. for about £40. On my way out to the car with the device in my pocket I brushed lightly against some furniture and felt the screen crack - OMG! :swear:

I didn't feel the contact but rather heard the screen go it was that light. I've had a few touch screen devices so I was shocked at the flimsiness of this screen. I was doubley pissed off because the closing screen of the device actually instructs you to put it in your bag for safe keeping!

So I sent it away for repair and today got an email saying they want 175 euro or £164 to repair.

THE DAMN THING ONLY COSTS £112!

I was prepared for a nominal charge of say £50 but this is taking the piss AND
they weren't prepared to refund the costs of the update which I have been unable to use.

:boxing::swear::boxing:

·
On the other side of the world in a 5.4ltr V8!
1,191 Posts
you pay for updates?

lol...

ontopic... how can they justify the price of the repair if a new one is cheaper?

·
Jammy Git
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've written to their CEO in Amsterdam!

Will post on how that goes.

·
Super Moderator
9,426 Posts
thats bad mate.

How do I go about loading a western europe map to a tom tom?? pm if you want to explain it to me ;)

·
Just another brick in the wall
2,693 Posts
I see this sort of thing all the time in my job. I hate to say it mate but the sad fact is your guarentte doesn't cover accidental damage, so legally they don't have to do anything.
You could always pop back to the shop you got it, ask to take out extended guarentte (assuming it covers accidental damage), then leave it a few weeks so not make it look dodgy, then take it back ;)

·
Jammy Git
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I see this sort of thing all the time in my job. I hate to say it mate but the sad fact is your guarentte doesn't cover accidental damage, so legally they don't have to do anything.
You could always pop back to the shop you got it, ask to take out extended guarentte (assuming it covers accidental damage), then leave it a few weeks so not make it look dodgy, then take it back ;)
I'm not complaining about it not being covered, I thought that was clear.

My gripe is the insulting offer of £165 to fix it when it only costs £112 to buy one and the unwillingness to refund my updates which I am now not going to be able to use. That and the touch screen itself was stupidly fragile.

I was thinking of buying one for the wife and then probably updating hers. So they have lost themselves more custom over the years than the value of a nominal fee to repair my unit.

·
Just another brick in the wall
2,693 Posts
Ah right, sorry mate i didn't get the jist of what you were saying properly :)
I'd get a Garmin mate. I've never had any trouble with mine.

·
Jammy Git
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update: After my mate heard you could send the unit back to be fixed free-of-charge he sent his v3 TomTom back coz it had a dodgy USB connector. This was before I'd heard back from them.

he got exactly the same response - sorry but that'll cost £165 to fix!!

It seems TomTom does NOT have a service department at all.

I have written to their CEO.

TomTom N.V.,
Oosterdoksstraat 114
1011 DK Amsterdam
The Netherlands

Dear Mr Goddijn,

First let me apologise for being unable to write to you in Dutch, although I expect English will be acceptable!

I am writing to you today to complain about a situation I find myself in regarding a repair recently sent to your service centre. This may seem trivial to be writing to you about but I detected a certain “unbreakable” stance from this department which assured me I was better off taking this matter further.

I received a TomTom One v4 as gift for Christmas 2008 (no proof of purchase). On March 4th this year I updated it online costing £49.65. Whilst transporting back to the car (it was in my pocket) I brushed against some furniture and heard the screen break. I emphasise “heard” as I literally did not feel the contact it was that light.

I then proceeded to contact customer services and sent the unit to be repaired. Today I received a quotation of €175 (presently £164) to have this fixed. New units in the UK cost £112. Mentally I was prepared for a nominal repair fee of around £50. I have enclosed a copy of this quotation for your benefit.

I was unwilling to pay this figure and requested that the money for the updates be refunded as I have had no chance whatsoever to use them. This was denied although I was offered the ability to transfer these updates to a new device. I am obviously undecided as to whether I wish to purchase a new TomTom.

I have owned and used many touch screen devices without exception (example Apple iPhone) their screens are very strong and would easily have withstood the “touch” that broke your screen. Indeed when you turn off the TomTom it suggests with a picture that you place the device for security in a bag. If I had followed this advice I think I would have been writing to you sooner.

I have the following issues:
1. The screen is too fragile.
2. The fee quoted to repair my TomTom is as insulting as it is comical, being £50 more than the cost of a new unit.
3. Being unable to refund the cost of my updates in the circumstances is poor.

What I want:
1. I would be happy paying a nominal fee to repair my TomTom, up to £50 would be fine. I had previously been very happy with my TomTom and would have bought more updates & possibly another device for my wife. As it stands you will lose my custom forever should this matter remain unresolved as above. I am surprised that your service department does not recognise this when it deals with this and other similar issues.
2. If a reasonable accommodation as suggested above is not achievable I wish to have my money for the update refunded as will not be purchasing another TomTom.

Thank you for your consideration of this issue and I hope to hear from you in the near future.

Yours faithfully,

Gunner Bill!

Enclosed: Quotation from service department.

·
www.dtdirl.com
701 Posts
I sell sat navs every day in my job, I personally wouldnt buy a tomtom as the customer support is muck with them mate. I'd buy a garmin and nothing else. We've had customers return units with problems after 29 days (28 days is the return if faulty period) and tomtom wanting to get the satnav sent to amsterdam to be repair instead of giving us an RMA number to write off the unit and issue the customer a new one. Garmin on the other half will just give us an RMA number over the phone even if the unit is as old as 6 months! Theres no hassel or stress at all. I try push sales with Garmin and not with tomtom purely because I know when a customer comes back with an issue I know myself I can deal with the situation better if Its a Garmin. But one thing mate, I always push to get the customer to buy a carry case to put their unit into, because most sat nav companies don't cover screen damage, as its an esential item to protect the satnav. Never put your satnav in your pocket unless its in its carry case. If the screen gets damaged at all in any sorta way it will impair the unit's ability to function or either cause it not to work. Then the warrenty becomes null and void. Imagine it like a pair of glasses... would you buy them without a case? It's the best way to describe it to the customer as sat nav's screens are not near as strong as an apple ipod phone. Tbh i'd be suprised if you get much joy with Tomtom, they are stubborn b*stards. But sure fingers crossed

moral of the story is to buy a garmin and a carry case ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts