Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Seasoned Member
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to a Garage that my other half takes his car to, to be resprayed.

I want a full respay in the same color....well kind of but a different make of paint which will look nicer.

I need the following doing....

Back arch repair on both sides
Major Front bumber repaired and a small crack on the back bumper.

How much???

£3000 and will be off the road for about a month which i dont mind as i have another car.

If i went with a basic color it would only be £500 cheaper so going to stick with that color.

This garage is top notch and i know they will make a very good job of it and will be shiney shiney new :)

What do you guys and gals think?

Can i justify this kind of money???

Becky xx

·
Seasoned Member
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i was about 1500 for a respray of sides, front and rear, not roof, bonnet or boot, but i reckon 2000-2500 might be topline price, although i did get mine done about 4 years ago so prices may well have risen but not that much
Because is a big car and i need replaire work as well bumper in a bit of a mess and arches are getting bad so need bits welding on.

Plus its a flip paint!!!

·
Seasoned Member
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
a big car? i was talking about my 33 getting resprayed. similar size, you did ask us for our thoughts, these are mine, but it sounds like you have your heart set on it so go for it
Oh yeah i do want your thoughts hun, i hope you dont think i was being funny with you?? i was just explaining about the paint and damage as i didnt say that in the first post.

I honestly think its a bit much but at the same time i dont know if that might be the going rate due to the amount of work that needs doing??? xxx

·
In dentibus anticis frustum magnum spiniciae habes
9,524 Posts
thing is that banter has a mate who was doing a great deal recently for around 400 for a respray, i am of the opinion that you get what u pay for but i dont like getting reamed ( unless keith is involved ) but my initial thoughts were 3k was too much. there are a few guys on here recent that have had quotes and resprays so check with them before you commit

·
Tyne/Wear/Tees Arse Rep/Gtr Shop Rep
11,412 Posts
thing is that banter has a mate who was doing a great deal recently for around 400 for a respray, i am of the opinion that you get what u pay for but i dont like getting reamed ( unless keith is involved ) but my initial thoughts were 3k was too much. there are a few guys on here recent that have had quotes and resprays so check with them before you commit

^^^ take no notice he loves getting reamed!!:gay:

·
Seasoned Member
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Yeah know what your saying, someone else has quotes me about £1500 but then ive not seen there work to know what its like, Yeah you get what you pay for.

Will see if anyone gives any ideas or recomends anyone xx

·
516ATF and RWD......Nutter!!
1,685 Posts
A bit high.
Dave, the guy that does the £400 reprays also did mine.

I had arches rolled and 400R aches bonded on.
Nismo splitter, primed and fitted.
Steel bonnet vented in 3 places.
Spats bonded on
Two large dents taken out of the passenger door.
Dent removed from the wing.
All body parts blended in and total respray but with front and back windows left in

All that came to about what you're paying.

Must say it was a FANTASTIC job.

If you want some pics of the work....send me your email.

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
£3000 is way to much for that work. I have a garage near me who is willing to do roughly about the same amount of work and full respray for £1500 and i have seen there work and there very good.

Buy if you can i would go with crazydave's deal!

G

·
It's too much Becks, seriously IF I had that money I would most likely buy another R32 gts-t. Obviously you know that shopping around for prices works wonders, especially if they're recommended from here.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
personally i would say 3k is correct for a top notch paint job.

Lets add it up!

Flip paint, primer, filler, fibreglass, steel for welding, weld wire/gas, general materials etc £1000 +

Then there is the labour of cutting out the rear arches and welding £ 200

Next, repair the bumper £300 labour ( 2 days )

Strip down/windows out (1 day) £200

Prep the car- (3 days 2 people) @ £100 per person = £600

Booth time + oil gas etc (1 day for paint and primer) £100 + 1 persons labour @ £ 100

Rebuild the car/ windows back in £200

Next up is flatting and polishing. (2 days 1 person @ £100 per day = £200)

Think that works out about £2900 + vat ?

This is working on the fact that the team working on your car are happy to earn £100 quid a day. A top line body shop would be looking for £150 quid a day labour per person. And there are people that will work for less, maybe £50 quid a day. However if these people are happy with £50 quid a day then there is a reason for this (they cant earn any more as there not good at there job! )

like others have said, you get what you pay for!

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
I know we all love our cars and if you have a 20k car I suppose you can justify spending 3k on a re-spray and work.My car is worth nothing like that so would not spend that much.Had my last Skyline prepped and sprayed excluding roof for 1k and it looked like a new car(windows left in).Cheers.

·
Registered
737 Posts
personally i would say 3k is correct for a top notch paint job.

Lets add it up!

Flip paint, primer, filler, fibreglass, steel for welding, weld wire/gas, general materials etc £1000 +

Then there is the labour of cutting out the rear arches and welding £ 200

Next, repair the bumper £300 labour ( 2 days )

Strip down/windows out (1 day) £200

Prep the car- (3 days 2 people) @ £100 per person = £600

Booth time + oil gas etc (1 day for paint and primer) £100 + 1 persons labour @ £ 100

Rebuild the car/ windows back in £200

Next up is flatting and polishing. (2 days 1 person @ £100 per day = £200)

Think that works out about £2900 + vat ?

This is working on the fact that the team working on your car are happy to earn £100 quid a day. A top line body shop would be looking for £150 quid a day labour per person. And there are people that will work for less, maybe £50 quid a day. However if these people are happy with £50 quid a day then there is a reason for this (they cant earn any more as there not good at there job! )

like others have said, you get what you pay for!
spot on there mate. i work in a bodyshop in south wales as a panel beater but i can also spray.

if it was a full respray in the cars original colour that it came with as factory you are looking at at least a grand for a half tidy job. thats working it out at 11 panels at £90 each. this would cover repairing and small to medium dents, scratchs and chips that it has. large dents you could add another £50 on for each one and the same for each piece of welding work, in which your car has.
same for repairing your badly damaged front bumper too.

obviously it all depends on what a garage charges per ppanel so this could still rise to £2000, and thats still for the original colour. you say yours has flip paint, these cost a lot more than standard paints and since most are applied as 2 or 3 colours laid on at different stages then obviously it takes more time and labour to spray.

all in all i would say for the work your car needs, and the colour that is going on it, £3000 is a fair price. depending on the price per panel of the workshop thats doing it, the brand of paint you use, the time taken, the job could easily hit £5000+. this doesnt mean id agree to pay this though lol. i do mine myself.

it all depends on wether you agree that its worth paying the £3000.
hope this helps

jaz

·
Registered
7,919 Posts
if you are happy to leave the car for a while you should travel a bit further North and come to Northallerton. I had mine done a few month back and he is excellent. He charged me £800 for the labour (including undercoats etc) and the paint was around £250 on top. He also fixed my bumper and side skirts. Cost about £1300 in total. Give me a PM if you want his details. I got my paint from a paint shop in darlington -so much choice and good prices too -although the resprayer uses same shop so he could also get your paint.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts